How To Upgrade Amcrest / Lorex to Dahua Firmware And Get All Dahua Features

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also just flashed my 2496 with the Dahua firmware but I donn't see the IVS stuff either...? my NVR does have the AI stuff now though

-- Edit

it seems a reset to default will fix this

-- Edit 2

this seem to be from Smart Codec being enabled, disabling smart codec fixed this

Last edited:

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IP3M-943 on Wifi

Tried to flash

DH_IPC-ACK-Themis_EngSpnFrn_N_V2.400.0000.15.R.20170804.bin

over

Amcrest_IPC-ACK-Themis_Eng_P_AMCREST_V2.400.AC02.15.T.20170714.bin

Didn't work

blakehaas

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded the IP5M-T1179EW to IPC-HDW2531TP-AS firmware. I see IVS but when i setup any IVS or intrusion, there is ZERO reaction from the camera. I can walk back and forth 100 times. Does this only work with a dahua smart plan NVR or will the camera actually do IVS?

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I upgraded the IP5M-T1179EW to IPC-HDW2531TP-AS firmware. I see IVS but when i setup any IVS or intrusion, there is ZERO reaction from the camera. I can walk back and forth 100 times. Does this only work with a dahua smart plan NVR or will the camera actually do IVS?
Did you enable IVs in smart plan on the camera?

blakehaas

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you enable IVs in smart plan on the camera?
I clicked the button. But I dont have a Dahua NVR. When i cross a trip wire or intrusion zone it just stays green? Period is 24hrs every day.
smartplan.PNG
ivs.PNG
when i walk by with this screen up. Nothing happens.

Last edited:

blakehaas

n3wb
Reaction score
I clicked the button. But I dont have a Dahua NVR. When i cross a trip wire or intrusion zone it just stays green? Period is 24hrs every day.
View attachment 68171
View attachment 68172
when i walk by with this screen up. Nothing happens.
I got it to work! In the camera web interface, nothing happens when crossing the ivs zones.. But on my synology it actually triggers. So it is working. Really happy to have added this feature!

dm33

n3wb
Reaction score
I flashed Dahua firmware onto Amcrest IP8M-2496E.
  • I am NOT getting the new event options discussed.
  • ftp uploads are now dav files instead of mp4. More of a pain to deal with.
  • I am unable to revert back to Amcrest firmware.
  • When viewing on Safari on Mac, it now says "Please click here to download and install the plug-in". This was not necessary when running the Amcrest firmware. I was using the 2019 Amcrest and had updated to 2020 firmware. Both worked fine in this regard. Clicking on the link returns a "404 Not found" error. Its apparently trying to return a package from the camera and the camera doesn't have it.
  • Amcrest firmware has an option for how many snapshots to take when motion triggered. Dahua does not have that option. Only yes/no on snapshots.
Additions I've noticed
  • NAS storage has option for SMB which Amcrest does not have. Amcrest is NFS only even though it doesn't label it as such.

Is there a way to revert back to Amcrest?

Last edited:

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I flashed Dahua firmware onto Amcrest IP8M-2496E.
  • I am NOT getting the new event options discussed.
  • ftp uploads are now dav files instead of mp4. More of a pain to deal with.
  • I am unable to revert back to Amcrest firmware.
  • When viewing on Safari on Mac, it now says "Please click here to download and install the plug-in". This was not necessary when running the Amcrest firmware. I was using the 2019 Amcrest and had updated to 2020 firmware. Both worked fine in this regard. Clicking on the link returns a "404 Not found" error. Its apparently trying to return a package from the camera and the camera doesn't have it.

Is there a way to revert back to Amcrest?
If you are using smart codec the IVs options are not visible

dm33

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are using smart codec the IVs options are not visible
Yes, I am using smart codec. Thanks!

I've had a terrible time with firmware and configuration on the Amcrest IP8M-2496E that led me to trying Dahua firmware. Is there a way to fully reset the camera?

An an example: The camera out of the box, when uploading via ftp creates a path of the form <date>/001/dav/<hour> for video and <date>/001/jpg/<hour>/<minute> for snapshots.
After the NVR configuration, the ftp path is of the form, <date>/video_001 and <date>/pic_001.

There is no option that I know of to control the ftp path. Yet nothing seems to reset it. What is the ftp path written by default with the Dahua firmware?

I prefer the shorter path, but other functions are not working or working inconsistently. In particular, if the camera is set to 8mp video, snapshots, either scheduled or from event, occur inconsistently, usually ok over night but stop during the day. So far, with the Dahua firmware, it seems to be working, but I've thought that before with Amcrest as well.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
did you reset to factory after changing firmware? that won't 'fix' the writing out .dav files (that's just Dahua) but if that's not something you can live with, you should not have done this...

dm33

n3wb
Reaction score
did you reset to factory after changing firmware? that won't 'fix' the writing out .dav files (that's just Dahua) but if that's not something you can live with, you should not have done this...
Yes. I've done the "reset to factory" and I've also done the hardware button on the bottom of the camera, 30 seconds while the camera is powered on.
I've never been able to get a camera really back to factory settings. The NVR apparently set some options that aren't cleared.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
what model NVR? could it still be changing settings?...

dm33

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I've been running the Dahua firmware on Amcrest IP8M-2496E and it seems to have resolved the issue I was having where motion activated snapshots would not be saved to ftp generally during the day. Very strange issue possibly caused by NVR configuration.
In any case, running the Dahua firmware, it is working correctly, although I'm still not fond of the dav files it writes instead of mp4.
I've also noticed that there's an option missing. On the Amcrest, you can choose, 1, 3 or 5 snapshots when motion activated. There is no choice of how many with Dahua, only snapshots or not.

Noloboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very new to the POE Security camera game and I bought about 4 Amcrest cameras -- two of IP8M-T2499EW and two of IP8M-2496E and they are all connected to Blue Iris.

Would it even matter which firmware I'm using if I'm using BI exclusively?

Will I get extra features from BlueIris by upgrading the firmware to Dahua?

I'm a little bit concerned about the DAV file (vs MP4) using the Dahua firmware but I don't think that matters since I use BI -- right?

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just bought an Amcrest IP4M-1051W and attempted to add it to my Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2E NVR. It wont add with the "private" protocol like my older Amcrest IP2M-841W did. Has anyone been able to add this camera? It doesn't look like the camera has an Dahua equivalent firmware.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but I'd already like to thank joec2000 as I ran his test of "http://<IP ADDRESS>/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo" on my new Lorex LNB9232S and found that it is truly a HFW1831EN.

appAutoStart=true
deviceType=LNB9232S
hardwareVersion=1.00
processor=DH7200
serialNumber=ND012003020359
updateSerial=IPC-HFW1831EN-A-0280B-CAYENNE
updateSerialCloudUpgrade=IPC-HFW1831EN-A-0280B-CAYENNE:01:02:02:64:2C:00:01:0F:01:01:00:320:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:200

I have a Pi4 booting from SSD with Shinobi running on it and It's now time to jump down the rabbit hole of trying to upgrade the camera. Wish me luck as I have been digging around for a week and have not seen anyone post that they were able to upgrade their Lorex 9232S.

P.S If you are wondering why I bought Lorex it's because I'm from Canada and was able to get 20% off that too.

John

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm very new to the POE Security camera game and I bought about 4 Amcrest cameras -- two of IP8M-T2499EW and two of IP8M-2496E and they are all connected to Blue Iris.

Would it even matter which firmware I'm using if I'm using BI exclusively?

Will I get extra features from BlueIris by upgrading the firmware to Dahua?

I'm a little bit concerned about the DAV file (vs MP4) using the Dahua firmware but I don't think that matters since I use BI -- right?
1-Not really.
2-No
3-Doesn't matter.