How to stop a "slack" pull on the cameras

gatornek

n3wb
Reaction score
So my NVR is setup in the office, the ethernet cables are run through the wall and into the NVR, and I left all the cables sitting in the attic. All I have to do next is run the cables to my desired camera locations.

Before I get up there and start that process, I want to know what's the best/cleanest way to stop a situation where (theoretically) someone would rip down the camera and start pulling on the cable. Obviously this isn't something that might be a common occurrence, but I'm trying to plan for all problems BEFORE an happening of Murphy's Law. If someone were able to pull on the ethernet slack (even accidentally), this would cause the NVR to start slamming against the wall on the other end.

My initial thought was simply to wrap the ethernet cable around a 2x4 up there a few times, and that should do it. But maybe there is a cleaner way of doing this? Maybe I'm not the first person to think of this highly unlikely situation?

Thanks!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you ever pulled a cable lol. They get stuck and caught on EVERYTHING lol.

Unless it is a 5 foot cable, the likelihood they could pull on a 50 foot run and start banging the NVR against the wall is slim lol.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even if you don't wrap it around anything or use the fasteners mentioned above, wait until at some point you decide to run a new wire because either the existing is corroded or you want to add another camera and wish to pull another cable thru and you think "Oh I will just use the existing cable to pull the line thru and then pull it back" and then the existing cable snags on something and splits in two LOL.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're overthinking it.
You need to treat Ethernet cable with care, no sharp bends (use a 90 degree radius), no pulling on them too hard while installing, do not bundle them so tightly it crush's or deforms the cable.
Otherwise you compromise their performance.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, don't do that. Much more likely will be a case where you want to move a cam from where you thought that you wanted it and you'll wish that you had more slack. Try to leave some extra behind where they exit and leave it so that you can pull it out if you need to.

gatornek

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you ever pulled a cable lol
Of course. But there are a couple of camera placements where its a pretty short straight-shot. Just tryna think of everything I guess.

These in the appropriate size would help.
Those look promising.

You're overthinking it.
You're probably right! :lol:

Yeah, don't do that. Much more likely will be a case where you want to move a cam from where you thought that you wanted it and you'll wish that you had more slack. Try to leave some extra behind where they exit and leave it so that you can pull it out if you need to.
I basically wanted to "lock it in place" in the spot right above the office where it drops down the wall and out a porthole I created to the NVR. That way, the slack is everywhere else going to the camera. Again, my worry was always pulling the NVR.

Thanks everyone! I do appreciate the feedback. Im sure I'll have a couple more questions before I actually get up into the attic and try and get this done.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you would be better off creating a "lock" for it at that the NVR location going into the wall. Zipties with something larger than the porthole so that it can't pull the NVR into the wall. Or a patch panel.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As others have already said, you are overthinking it. Unless the runs are all perfectly straight there is no way you’ll be able to pull a the cable through.

Another thing, I’ve heard of wires being cut but never pulled so to guard against being cut it might be prudent to leave some slack that can be pulled so a quick recrimp and you are back and running.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if you are really that concerned about someone pulling slack cable, put a terminal box/junction box and then plug a short cable from the camera to the box.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Not withstanding what's been said above, if concerned about a cable grab irrespective of the consequences (or lack there of), use turrets mounted to a Dahua junction box. That way no cables are exposed as they're inside the junction box and there's nothing to grab onto camera wise.