How To Start New Recording?

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My blue iris software is working well on its inaugural day here.

but i've having some trouble finding how to stop/start recordings.

for instance it has recorded my dahau for the last three hours and I can and have looked over the clip. But now I'd like to stop that clip to limit it in size and start a new...

child's play I've no doubt, but I've never been as smart as a child.... how do I do this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My blue iris software is working well on its inaugural day here.

but i've having some trouble finding how to stop/start recordings.

for instance it has recorded my dahau for the last three hours and I can and have looked over the clip. But now I'd like to stop that clip to limit it in size and start a new...

child's play I've no doubt, but I've never been as smart as a child.... how do I do this?
you should not be manually starting and stopping recording...it is all automated....make sure you properly setup recording folder sizes in clips and archiving.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that but it leaves me puzzled.

Where is 'clips and archiving' ?

Why shouldn't I be stopping and starting? There is this big button up the top there 'Record Start/Stop'. What is that for, then? I do admit it doesn't seem to stop start recording but it does cause a screen flicker, it is doing something. But it seems to have more to do with playback than recording.

'All automated' ? I've got three cameras and I come to look at them and I see a clip which has some interest in it when I look at it so I decide i'll keep it and set the camera off recording a new clip. What's wrong with me wanting to do that?

I don't want all three just running endlessly recording. And I don't at this stage want to set all three up with their own schedules (if that's the alternative).

I just want to 'operate' them. Surely that's okay?

And that's only three cameras. Just for testing this software. When it's operational there'll be many more. I envisage I'd often scan across them all and isolate one recording of interest and want to stop and extract it.

what I mean is the more cameras i've got there the more chance I'll just want to kind of cut in and stop, start, extract.

'Setup recording folder sizes'? You mean they need setting up? There's plenty of room on my drives - I was just planning to let it go........

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The record button starts a manual recording. Ignore it. The idea is to record 24/7 or motion based recording. When u want to keep a clip or part of a clip u can export that to save it.
Well thanks for that, penguin. Makes a lot clear. Simple as that, eh? 24/7 or motion detect - export for clips.

Goodoh.

:)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well thanks for that, penguin. Makes a lot clear. Simple as that, eh? 24/7 or motion detect - export for clips.

Goodoh.

:)
you need to find the clips and archiving tab and read the help file...its vital because by default it only saves the first 30gb of data...you cant just "let it go"...

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, I've begun on the help file. I'll check the video out... thanks for all the clues :)