How to sharpen image of HDW4300C still pics

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to sharpen my pics to be able to read text that people are my front door have in hand.

What are the ideal settings to ensure text may be captured with someone directly below my HDW4300C?

Last edited by a moderator:

mkkoskin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't think any digital enhancements would do you any good. Optical zoom would help you out (even a small one), but that would require manual control (and obviously a different camera) when there's someone with paper on your door.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that page he is holding is too far away, and even a completely lossless image would not make the text legible. You need a narrower field of view, like a 6mm lens at least, and probably even higher. Of course fixed focus cameras come pre-focused for distant objects so you probably have to dissolve some glue and re-focus it, or buy a varifocal camera instead. And finally when it is all said and done there are plenty of other ways it could fail, like there isn't enough light for a fast/sharp exposure, or the person holding the paper doesn't pass it under the very narrow view you would have.

Seems like a really hard to obtain goal you have there :(

That said, the best way to improve the image sharpness is usually to max out the bit rate and in some cases disabling noise reduction will prevent the camera from smoothing over the finer details. If the camera has an Area of Interest feature, you can also take advantage of that to make sure a certain part of the image will be captured in maximum quality.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is what I figured.. I increased pic quality to highest setting now and may look at the bit rate for the Dahua HDW4300C... can't have my cake and eat it too : )