how to set up Static Ip addresses

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Router: Netgear R6080 ( FW V. 1.0.0.46)

I have searched this forum and Google with no simple answer. Everty time i restart my router it changes all my ip addresses and is a total pain in the ass . can anybody lead me to a simple tutorial?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The easiest way is to go into the router, through the GUI, and set the DHCP range. From there you can also "assign" specific IP addresses to the MAC address of each device you want to have a static IP address. An alternate to that would be to manually assign the P addresses, yourself, to each device you want static. Those addresses need to be outside the range you specify in the DHCP range. The MAC addresses will be displayed in the connected devices list in your router.

Example -

In DHCP set a starting address to 100 through 254
In reservations of IP address set a MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx to (for example only) 192.168.1.10 and repeat for the other devices.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a video, note that the device MAC address is used to assign an IP address. As Sebastian stated, assign it an IP address below your DHCP range. This isn't exactly your model, but most netgear router setup is similar...

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Recommend you change your DHCP range to 100-254 on your router, and then use 2-99 for any static IP addresses:

Select ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.

Make sure that the Use Router as DHCP Server check box is selected.
In the Starting IP Address field, type the lowest number in the range (i.e. 100)

Change any of your static IP devices to an IP address between 2-99

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK. This is what i have done.

20201103_211800.jpg
after applying and the router updated the settings....everything seemingly works correctly except for my camera's. my amcrest ptz appears to be in slow mow via blue Iris. My swann ptz indoor camera keeps connecting and disconnecting for a minute and then reconnecting. my new el cheapo foscam will not connect at all, although it does seem to be sending data to Blue Iris.
20201103_212000.jpg20201103_212031~2.jpg

all my camera's are running via wifi..... i can only wonder if that may be the issue or maybe i need to sign on to each camera and change something. or maybe restart each camera? not sure yet.

using a network ip scanner on my phone i have scanned for open ports on each of the cameras and for some reason i cannot find any open ports on the cameras. therefore i cannot even connect directly to the cameras.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a number of posts on wifi for the 2.4Ghz band on a single SSID and single channel, you can support 3 cameras reliably on a single channel. The short answer is your network is overload, you will not fix the problem by changing settings. You need to add dedicated camera access points.

read this post and follow the directions.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Short answer is that WiFi and surveillance cameras are mutually exclusive items. A camera transmits constantly, hogging bandwidth, which is totally different from a PC, tablet or phone even if watching video on them. Even when streaming video WiFi chokes with more than one device streaming at a time, especially 2.4GHz WiFi, which is exactly where WiFi cameras operate.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One note, in my experience it is better (more stable and more secure) to set the static IP within the camera's setup, making sure it is outside of the router's DHCP address range.

And I second (third?) the opinion that WiFi and security cameras are not a good combination unless you have no other alternative, and if you must use WiFi cameras for security, setup a dedicated WiFi network/device for just them with no other devices allowed to connect to it...even then it will not be anywhere near as reliable as a wired connection.

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
its been a very busy week for me and this is the first i have been able to read all these replies. Interestingly, after my last post i restarted the router twice and after the second restart the Router began working perfectly. I have been using it for several days now with no signal loss to the 3 cameras i am using via wifi. Due to my current situation wifi is a must ... after reading your replies i am very happy with my router.

Router: Netgear R6080 ( FW V. 1.0.0.46)

earlier this week i had all three cameras running while i also had two firesticks running with UI3 as i watched Disney + ( Mandalorian ) in 4k on a third stick. I monitored the traffic on the 4k mandalorian stick and it was drawing just over 50Mbs a few times and then held steady around 12Mbs. I might be confusing Mbs with MBs. dont remember exactly.

My router must be one of the best.

Last edited: