How to run network cable for camera?

crimsondr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am planning on mounting a camera in the corner of the room near the ceiling. I will run a network cable for PoE and data. I'm wondering do you terminate the end on the wall? Do you just add a regular wallplate with keystone? Or is there anything smaller that could be more easily hidden or unseen?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am planning on mounting a camera in the corner of the room near the ceiling. I will run a network cable for PoE and data. I'm wondering do you terminate the end on the wall? Do you just add a regular wallplate with keystone? Or is there anything smaller that could be more easily hidden or unseen?
What camera are you mounting?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So generally you would terminate the cable and leave an extra foot then make the connection and push it back in the wall and cover it with the camera...that way you cant see anything...with the 2432, you cannot do that...I would just make the hole as best you can behind the camera, make it exact to the cable size and pull the cable through and make the connection to the camera...a wall plate is too bulky in my opinion...

crimsondr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

A couple other questions...

1. How much bandwidth do IP cameras normally need? Do they require gigabit connections? Or can I just get a cheaper 10/100 POE switch for them?
2. What type of cable should I get for the in-wall runs for the cameras? UTP, CMR is sufficient? Can I use CM cable?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Crimsondr - each camera will consume no more than 6 megabits/sec. I'm sure you could have settings higher than that, but truthfully, I have my 1080p cameras set to 2mb/s, and any quality improvements on data rates higher than this are simply imperceptible.

Thus, any single run from a camera to a switch would never require more than 2-5% of your 100mbps connection. Now, if you have a dozen or more cameras, all pushing at a max data rate, the combined bandwidth might exceed 100mbps - so for the uplink from your PoE switch, you may need more than 10/100.

Consider this - I'm running about 40 megapixles worth of cameras - and all 30 cameras go through two 16-port 10/100 PoE switches - which return to the BI PC over a 10/100 port. Even with all of that, my NIC on the BI never sees more than about 70mbps (still well below the theoretical 100mbps limit).

As for the switch I use, it's a 10/100 TP-link (about $30 from Newegg). I opened them up, and soldered all the 4&5 (+) pins together, and the 7&8 (-) pins together, and power them with 48VDC (100watt) power supply. That drives every one of my cameras. It's cheap, reliable, and effective way to do PoE.

Since I've done this, I've found a vendor for a cheap 8-port switch that contains the same modification. It's only $45, and had that existed when I first started, I would not have modified my own. The cost savings is simply not worth the effort.

As for cables, I'm using Cat6 'bare copper', which is plenum rated (CMP). I don't run it in plenums, so CMR or just plain CM would work too. It runs about $130 for a box of 1000' from Monoprice. Most of the cheaper stuff you find on line is considered Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA). It's poo-pooed by most installers - especially for any PoE applications. Apparently the aluminum is much more brittle, which can lead to breaks from even minor kinks. Further, it's not properly rated (by whatever organization approves such standards) for carrying any current - which is what your PoE cameras will do. If it's going to support the power draw (wattage) of cameras, and it's going in your walls, best not to tempt fate with saving a few bucks. At least that's the reasoning I used with this heavier copper cable.

Hope this helps.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

crimsondr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Crimsondr - each camera will consume no more than 6 megabits/sec. I'm sure you could have settings higher than that, but truthfully, I have my 1080p cameras set to 2mb/s, and any quality improvements on data rates higher than this are simply imperceptible.

Thus, any single run from a camera to a switch would never require more than 2-5% of your 100mbps connection. Now, if you have a dozen or more cameras, all pushing at a max data rate, the combined bandwidth might exceed 100mbps - so for the uplink from your PoE switch, you may need more than 10/100.

Consider this - I'm running about 40 megapixles worth of cameras - and all 30 cameras go through two 16-port 10/100 PoE switches - which return to the BI PC over a 10/100 port. Even with all of that, my NIC on the BI never sees more than about 70mbps (still well below the theoretical 100mbps limit).

As for the switch I use, it's a 10/100 TP-link (about $30 from Newegg). I opened them up, and soldered all the 4&5 (+) pins together, and the 7&8 (-) pins together, and power them with 48VDC (100watt) power supply. That drives every one of my cameras. It's cheap, reliable, and effective way to do PoE.

Since I've done this, I've found a vendor for a cheap 8-port switch that contains the same modification. It's only $45, and had that existed when I first started, I would not have modified my own. The cost savings is simply not worth the effort.

As for cables, I'm using Cat6 'bare copper', which is plenum rated (CMP). I don't run it in plenums, so CMR or just plain CM would work too. It runs about $130 for a box of 1000' from Monoprice. Most of the cheaper stuff you find on line is considered Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA). It's poo-pooed by most installers - especially for any PoE applications. Apparently the aluminum is much more brittle, which can lead to breaks from even minor kinks. Further, it's not properly rated (by whatever organization approves such standards) for carrying any current - which is what your PoE cameras will do. If it's going to support the power draw (wattage) of cameras, and it's going in your walls, best not to tempt fate with saving a few bucks. At least that's the reasoning I used with this heavier copper cable.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I'm interested in this PoE switch you mention. Can you confirm if I purchase this switch I can plug in my regular PoE devices into it and they would be powered correctly?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'm interested in this PoE switch you mention. Can you confirm if I purchase this switch I can plug in my regular PoE devices into it and they would be powered correctly?
Well, probably. It depends on the type of PoE equipment you currently have. If it's 802.3af, then they'll be looking for 48VDC. The switch does not come with a power supply - you can get it from the same company, or buy one separately. The HIkvision need 48V.

A normal PoE switch will negotiate with the attached devices before sending 48V down the cable. This switch will provide always-on 48V. So you have to be aware that whatever you attach to the 7 PoE ports WILL see 48V. The 8th port is not PoE, and is what you'll use to tie the switch to your existing network.

So long as you limit the devices attached to this switch to actual 802.3af PoE devices, it'll function flawlessly. If there's a chance someone may hook up non-PoE devices, you'll be better off with a much more expensive 802.3af-compliant switch.

crimsondr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I've always been a bit confused on how PoE works. So a true 802.3af PoE device will always expect 48V.

This switch shouldn't be a problem since I'm the only one tinkering with these toys.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
crimsondr-

I have the same camera and just mounted it this past weekend in a nursery. I drilled through the base plate (there is already a larger hole in the base plate that I just enlarged) enough to fit my cat 6 through and then I crimped on an end. It looks cleaner to me than coming straight out of drywall.

crimsondr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
crimsondr-

I have the same camera and just mounted it this past weekend in a nursery. I drilled through the base plate (there is already a larger hole in the base plate that I just enlarged) enough to fit my cat 6 through and then I crimped on an end. It looks cleaner to me than coming straight out of drywall.
Thanks. I'll take a look at that once I receive my camera.

crimsondr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That looks pretty good! I can do that. Thanks for the suggestion and pic!

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No problem...at all...happy to help a fellow cam person! I swear sometimes it feels like an addiction...lol

Anyway, I always make a habit of putting a few layers of tape on the opposite side of where I am drilling just to try and prevent cracking / splitting, etc. Also, I "step up" my drill bits one at a time and careful not to just jump to a large bit to soon!

Have fun and good luck:)

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats a great idea with the cable. How did you mount the camera onto the drywall?

OhFrugal

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman:
I was looking at one article on termination (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Terminate-CAT-5-Cable-With-An-RJ-45-Connect/?ALLSTEPS) since you mentioned it. It looks like he is just talking about making the RJ45 cable from raw CAT 5 cable and not real termination in the sense of Microwave principles (avoiding signal bouncing back). So, if I use a pre made commercial cable (with connectors at both ends), do I still have to worry about any termination? A video from Hikvision just showed connecting the cable like we plug in any device. TIA

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not real termination in the sense of Microwave principles
Every branch of technology (and nature) has different methods and requirements of termination.. for the purpose of the common old 'cat lan cable' then the method is to stick an rj45 plug on the end, the science is not quite as demanding in its method as RF and higher, but the basics still boil down to using the correct cable with the correct connector with the designed tools... as in most things in life, its using the tools that requires practice.

Chickens get terminated with an axe, that's real termination as well ... :D

Edit: Thank goodness we don't have to reflect (intended) on bouncing signals :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

OhFrugal

n3wb
Reaction score
Every branch of technology.......
Chickens get terminated with an axe, that's real termination as well ... :D

Edit: Thank goodness we don't have to reflect (intended) on bouncing signals :rolleyes:
Thanks. As an EE & Comp. Prof., I think too deep than is necessary for the problem at hand. I used to get things done by students and techs but as a Prof. Emeritus, I got to do things on my own now.

Anyway, I liked your chicken termination analogy!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If the cable is premade and you are not removing the ends, you dont have to worry (there are cables called "crossover" cables which you should NOT be using..but all standard cat5/6 cables will be fine)