How to replace the Dahua NVR buzzer with different sound

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The buzzer on my Dahua NVR4216-16P-4KS2 sounds exactly like a local bird so I never know whether its an alarm event on the NVR that has just sounded or if it is a bird. How can I replace the default buzzer (which is more like a "beep, beep") with something more distinct. I can turn the alarm buzzer off but haven't figured out how to replace it. I've followed the manual's advice on importing a different .mp3 audio file (a ringing bell in this case) and then selected the "Alarm Tone" box but it never plays when an alarm event occurs.
All help appreciated.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How can I replace the default buzzer (which is more like a "beep, beep") with something more distinct. I can turn the alarm buzzer off but haven't figured out how to replace it.
The buzzer is soldered onto the circuit board inside.
You'd be voiding warranty to replace it.

I've followed the manual's advice on importing a different .mp3 audio file (a ringing bell in this case) and then selected the "Alarm Tone" box but it never plays when an alarm event occurs.
This relies on a speaker connected to the NVR.
This usually sends audio through the HDMI monitor output as well. If you have a TV connected, turn the speakers up on that.
There is also an RCA audio output for audio.

Next idea is use the relay contacts on the NVR and wire your own buzzer/siren in.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to physically replace it - just replace its sound with another.
Buzzer on the circuit board is only one sound tone/frequency.
To change the sound, it means replacing it.
Replacing it is de-soldering the current one and soldering a new one in.

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll buy a speaker and try it out.
That didn't work and I tried each of the RCA sockets on the NVR with the single RCA plug on the speaker.
Interestingly, when I click "Play" on a ticked .mp3 file in in the /Audio/File Management/ screen on the attached monitor, nothing happens either. The file is only 50KB so is within the correct size limit of 10MB.
Since I can't even "play" the sound file via the Audio screen I'm wondering if there is something more fundamental I'm missing.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That didn't work and I tried each of the RCA sockets on the NVR with the single RCA plug on the speaker.
Interestingly, when I click "Play" on a ticked .mp3 file in in the /Audio/File Management/ screen on the attached monitor, nothing happens either. The file is only 50KB so is within the correct size limit of 10MB.
Since I can't even "play" the sound file via the Audio screen I'm wondering if there is something more fundamental I'm missing.
Only one of the RCA plugs is a speaker output, the other is a mic input.
In audio settings there maybe a volume adjustment for playback of the files.

You may also have functions to load the audio files onto cameras that support it. The audio files should just be on the NVR for the RCA output to work.

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In audio settings there maybe a volume adjustment for playback of the files.
Yes, it's on the max.
The audio files should just be on the NVR for the RCA output to work.
Yes, they are only on the NVR.

I think my current issue is that I can't even "play" the sound file via the Audio screen when ticking the "play" button.
Edit: I'm wrong. I can just hear the sound file when I hit "play". The speaker has so much interference, however, that it is not useable. Maybe time to actually buy a different speaker to test it again.

Last edited: