How to purchase on Aliexpress or Alibabba

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I started to pull the trigger and purchase my first few cams tonight, but then I got in to the order options.

• Can anyone give me a quick lesson or best practices when using Ali express or Alibaba?
  • Are there any accessories I should go ahead and just add-on to the order for my first few? Eben if not needed, I should probably go ahead and start building my pool of replacement parts and accessories.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Never give them any personal information and always read and reread what you think you're getting. Ask them questions if you're unsure. Try and find references on here about who you're buying from and what exactly you're getting.

Depends what you've already got for installation tools and accessories. You'll need solid copper cat 5e wire, connectors, and crimpers, plus at least an rj45 continuity tester. Spare POE injector or two. Extra patch cords. 12v power supply with the right ends for bench testing cams with 12v and POE connectors in case the POE dies or you want to test a cam direct to a laptop (no POE). Maybe an IR illuminator or two. Some of this stuff is possibly better bought locally like the box of wire.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I started to pull the trigger and purchase my first few cams tonight, but then I got in to the order options.
Holy shit after that PM, I thought you would have this under control. However, I am magnanimous and will endeavor to point you in the right direction.

• Can anyone give me a quick lesson or best practices when using Ali express or Alibaba?
If you live in the USA, I would advise to seek out milkisbad on the forum as they will be able to supply local region specific hardware. They may be able to provide a degree of technical support that you will find hard matched by most Ali suppliers. If you are not in the US, there are likely users in your region who will be aware of the most reliable (at the point of query) Ali suppliers and they will know best shipping methods for speed and duties minimisation (if applicable). All theses Ali are fluid and dynamic, best to trust the non-fanbois on this or other forums.

• Are there any accessories I should go ahead and just add-on to the order for my first few? Eben if not needed, I should probably go ahead and start building my pool of replacement parts and accessories.
There are certainly things you should consider buying to make your life easier. I will assume that you know how to terminate cable or buy pre-made cables as outilined above. Many of the addons come down to where you reside or are having stuff delivered to. The one thing I reccomend that is uaually appreciated are some of the Hobovision 48 LED 850nm IR floods (choose your angle wisely) althought cheap as chip they work suprisingly well, especially if you double up on what you think you will need.

Again location is an important factor and local knowledge is available on this forum.

I recommend used PoE commercial gear if you can get it for a good price as HP, Cisco and other commercial gear is built to last. If small scale I like TP-Link gear as great bang for buck.

Without being sure of your local network or your abilities to configure it. If Gragoyle and OpenVPN mean something to you, you are on the right track

Cheers mate.

PS If you were looking to buy a new car would you let the salesman make the purchase decision for you? Thought not.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ProTip: Never choose epacket, pay a dollar or two more for registered air mail.. so you can track it.

epacket is likely to require a signature as its the only way to really confirm delivery, USPS provides no tracking for epacket once it hits the states

Plasman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I registered with AliExpress 10 days ago and placed my first order on March 30 using my credit card and the order went through fine. It might be a coincidence but my credit card had unauthorized charges on April 3 and had to be cancelled. I have had this card for many years with no fraud even through the TJMAX and Target hacks.

I wrote to Aliexpress support and got back a form letter with a support faq and no mention of the possible fraud. I wish I had ordered on eBay or Amazon....

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive been ordering off Ali for years from electronics to motorcycle parts. most likely just coincidence. most cc eat the fraud charges so your only a little unconvinced waiting on a new card. your info can be hacked from many places, l AST time mine got hacked I changed the mailing address.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

• Can anyone give me a quick lesson or best practices when using Ali express or Alibaba?...
1) Do research to determine the hardware you need and...

2) then find others here who have purchased the same hardware on AliExpress successfully