how to prevent BI from recording when lights go on/off

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed that everytime I turn my lights on/off in my living room, BI starts to record. I assume this has to do with me having a hotspot by my door so that it starts to record when the door is opened/closed

is there any way to get around this? It's driving me nuts!

I do plan on getting a camera on the outside one of these days, so I can have it record when there is motion by my walk path to my door. but for now this is the best I can do :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This happens because the light change triggers motion detection..there is nothing that can be done save eliminating the hotspot and if that doesn't help increasing your make time...setting detection to color only vs color and brightness may help too. The hotspot makes that whole area super sensitive....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
changing in lighting will trigger video motion, if your using video motion you just got to get used to the false alarms.. try to use your recordings only when you need them; if you want to audit events on a regular basis you will probably want to go with a real motion sensor for triggering recordings.. they wont process lights/clouds/shadows as motion.. if installed correctly they wont give any false alarms.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
changing in lighting will trigger video motion, if your using video motion you just got to get used to the false alarms.. try to use your recordings only when you need them; if you want to audit events on a regular basis you will probably want to go with a real motion sensor for triggering recordings.. they wont process lights/clouds/shadows as motion.

I can use the built in motion detection on the 2432, but the problem is that I believe that will trigger recording even more often because you can't set dead spots. it will record anytime we move around in the living room.

Guess I'll have to just deal with it :(

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
does it have an alarm input trigger? since its an indoor camera you might be able to hook it up to your home alarm system.. use that input to trigger motion recordings ONLY when your house is armed and your away.. thats the best strategy for indoor motion activated cameras IMHO.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
does it have an alarm input trigger? since its an indoor camera you might be able to hook it up to your home alarm system.. use that input to trigger motion recordings ONLY when your house is armed and your away.. thats the best strategy for indoor motion activated cameras IMHO.
It does, but I didn't want to run wiring for it all the way to the door. was looking for an easier fix. Might do that with the outside camera though which will be right by the door

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
schedules to not record when your typically home? then remember to over-ride the schedules if you go on vacation or something... its not as ideal as using your alarm panel to signal. I'd live with it than risk missing something.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you run a wire from your security panel to your BI server?

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have a security system. I figured I just take the extra videos... I delete them on regular basis anyways if nothing has happened

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As fender suggested, have you increased your "make-time"? Try 1.5 - 2.0 sec and see if that helps eliminate the false trigger. Since the lighting change happens quickly and does not continue (to change) it should work.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As fender suggested, have you increased your "make-time"? Try 1.5 - 2.0 sec and see if that helps eliminate the false trigger. Since the lighting change happens quickly and does not continue (to change) it should work.
make time is always at 2 seconds. I do have a hot spot which is why it's triggering when lights go on/off

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
two seconds is a very high make time...instead of a hotspot why dont you just lower the make time and see if you could find a sweet spot where it doesnt get triggered by the lights.