How to power and connect an ethernet camera and give output to a TV. RCA cable?

sudhirkots

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a medical device which has a camera, which records eyes..close up..The camera is an ethernet based one..so gets power from a device( which must be an injector). It gives output by a yellow composite video out and a single white audio out cable to a TV for display.
It has stopped working, i suspect due to the injector device rather than the camera.
What can i use to power the camera and see the display? Is such a device available? or should I just try a POE injector and send display to a PC or else use some other adapter to send display to RCA and TV? Please help. I am a Neurologist and do not know much technical jargon.20220718_233018.jpg

Attachments

sudhirkots

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks..i dont know the camera make..nothing is written on it. It is made by a medcical device company which has stopped making the device.
But the camera is a small square camera about40 mm by 40 mm and the lens is about 16 mm.
the only cable connecting the camera is a RJ-45..no other cable to supply power or get the data out form the camera. so camera gives output only via ethernet cablke RJ-45 and gets power also from it.
The " POE" device itself connects to the camera and power supply and gives output via RCA cable..as i showed in the earlier photos.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you tell which pin numbers are the video pair (yellow RCA) and the audio pair (white RCA) by looking at them through the clear plastic of the RJ-45?

What about which pins supply power to the cam from the 12VDC power supply?

Below is an RJ-45 to help determine the pin numbers.

RJ45-Pinout-T568B.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you a way to measure the output of the existing power supply and the polarity of its plug?
Can you input 12VDC at 2 amps into the jack for power?

MED-CAM.jpg

sudhirkots

n3wb
Reaction score
I hope it is just the power supply, as that can be easily replaced.
I dont know what is the substitute for the other device..the thing which supplies power to the camera..gets data from the camera via RJ 45 and outputs to TV via RCA

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
as a proprietary device like yours, probably the only replaceable option could be the power supply. If you could use a multimeter, that’s the best way to test the power/connectors. You may still use a 12 volts light automotive tester. Even using a 12v auto bulb (center tab is positive, outside metal is negative) and a piece of cable, you could confirm an operational “good/bad” device, but still not guarantee the power ratings (volts/amp) are ok. In case the bulb is off, I will consider testing/replacing the 12v power pack

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
as a proprietary device like yours, probably the only replaceable option could be the power supply. If you could use a multimeter, that’s the best way to test the power/connectors. You may still use a 12 volts light automotive tester. Even using a 12v auto bulb (center tab is positive, outside metal is negative) and a piece of cable, you could confirm an operational “good/bad” device, but still not guarantee the power ratings (volts/amp) are ok. In case the bulb is off, I will consider testing/replacing the 12v power pack
+1^^ for me but previously advised the OP, a neurologist, to use a DVM or multimeter to obtain the polarity.... the lamp may provide a decent load test.
12VDC power supplies are likely readily available but his device, as you also stated, is proprietary and he may have to use the existing plug on a new power supply so polarity is crucial if his device has no polarity protection.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes, maybe a photo of the dc connector, if detachable, could help. It looks like is only for power, since the a/v connector are within the box

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried to contact the manufacturer for the pin-out? I see they are still in biz.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
They are only using 3 pair! not the full 4 pairs. The 2 outer conductors are missing.

sudhirkots

n3wb
Reaction score
The manufacturer has been taken over by another company and this product has been closed down