How to play .dav file from Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 on Mac ?

JSP

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post on ipcamtalk, based on recommendations found here, I just got a Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 with some IPC-HDW5231RP-ZE cameras from Andy.

I've configured the cameras to record in h.265 and it appears to work fine.

To test the backup feature, I backed up a short clip onto a USB stick, it is stored as a .dav file, but I cannot find any application on my mac that can play it.

Any suggestions ?

thanks
Jesper

JSP

n3wb
Reaction score
To answer my own question, found one solution. Use SmartPSS on the mac to generate the backup in asf format, then newest version of VLC can play it. VLC cannot play the file generated on the NVR itself though, if someone knows how to do that it would be even better.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua Smart Player will play dav files. When you do a file export in smartpss, choose original format (dav) instead of asf. And make sure export smart player is checked. Then you will know where smart player is and what it is named on mac so you can use it anytime, hopefully. Or you could look for a place to download.
H.265 recordings in various exported file formats will probably have problems playing in many players where H.264 will play. The program Videoproc will convert H.265 dav, etc. files to H.264 if needed.

JSP

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua Smart Player will play dav files. When you do a file export in smartpss, choose original format (dav) instead of asf. And make sure export smart player is checked. Then you will know where smart player is and what it is named on mac so you can use it anytime, hopefully. Or you could look for a place to download.
H.265 recordings in various exported file formats will probably have problems playing in many players where H.264 will play. The program Videoproc will convert H.265 dav, etc. files to H.264 if needed.
Thanks for getting back to me, I tried that and got the Smart Player installed, but when I try to open the .dav file created by SmartPSS or the one created directly on the recorder it says "Open the video file unsuccessfully"