How to have User given permission to record ?

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have given my daughter the ability to run BI from her desktop. We are both on the same machine. She logs into BI with her own username and password. In the edit user check box I have given her Admin rights in the Access column. When we startup BI and she logs in, the console will not allow her to turn on the traffic light to arm recording. I would think since the User List shows her as an Admin she would be able to record.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have given my daughter the ability to run BI from her desktop. We are both on the same machine. She logs into BI with her own username and password. In the edit user check box I have given her Admin rights in the Access column. When we startup BI and she logs in, the console will not allow her to turn on the traffic light to arm recording. I would think since the User List shows her as an Admin she would be able to record.
Is she running as a windows admin?

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no workaround? Giving someone Admin control over your whole system just so they can turn record off and on in one program ? What is the point of even having a Admin checkbox in Edit User panel?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no workaround? Giving someone Admin control over your whole system just so they can turn record off and on in one program ? What is the point of even having a Admin checkbox in Edit User panel?
I dont know if there is a workaround. The purpose of the admin option is for the mobile app - as I understand it. I have never used blue iris on a non windows admin account since all my BI machines are dedicated to blue iris as any vms should be. You should not be running blue iris on a home use pc. You are just asking for trouble. You should also not be manually engaging recording. Why? Simply set a schedule. Manually engaging recording is another way to miss important events.
Hopefully someone who uses a non admin account can help or you can email support.

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been running BI on a home PC for over near a year now. No security problem with that; if that is what you are suggesting. What kind of trouble are you suggesting? And why do you think I should not use the trafficlight manually? My schedule is always changing so I find turning the motion/record manually very suitable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been running BI on a home PC for over near a year now. No security problem with that; if that is what you are suggesting. What kind of trouble are you suggesting? And why do you think I should not use the trafficlight manually? My schedule is always changing so I find turning the motion/record manually very suitable.
The issue is related to stability. You dont want any other software running on your pc. Sometimes an app can cause BI to crash or the application may use up so many resources even temporarily that video is not recorded properly. Its should not be done. Murphy's law.
If you have outdoor cams they should always be recording. If you are enabling/disabling indoor cameras, simply use the mobile app, its faster and easier. Using the traffic signal to enable recording leaves open the possibility of forgetting to set it - it will happen. Again, Murphy's law - it will happen when you have an event.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@MistaBeak You can try this. In the program files\blue iris 4 folder there is a file called blueirisadmin try using that file to launch blue iris under your standard account.