How to disable IR for IVS on Z12E?

geoguz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Newbie with my new IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E - no NVR - just SD cards for the time being and a Synology NAS to test later for storage.

Trying to configure this for number plates to capture (night) snapshots & video footage but seems when I enable IVS rule with a tripwire IR switches on and cant seem to figure out how to disable the IR from switching on that is glaring the plates?
SmartIR is off from Conditions>Exposure with shutter 1/10000, Gain 5-70, & focus (manual - even though something seems to adjust the focus ) & have scheduled for day & night profiles.
(if i disable from SmartPlan > IVS (i.e not selected/orange) I do not get the IR - but I assume then IVS/tripwire options have all been disabled when doing so).

Also troubled to time when the snapshot is taken, as in playback I figured out to playback snapshots, need to select from dropdown the jpg option (for stills) while dav option is for video - but the issue none of the snapshots has the vehicle ;(
I guess the snapshot would be taken only when IVS is enabled with snapshots selected - unless there is another option to configure elsewhere?

How have you guys, configured the Z12E if no NVR to capture at night number plates for both video and images/snapshots?

Appreciate any feedback and tips.

Thanks

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS has no effect on IR on or off that I know of.
IR is controlled separately by its own “Illuminator” control.

Unless you have a LOT of light, you need IR to reflect the plate. That’s what it’s supposed to do. If the reflected IR is too bright, try adjusting down your Gain and/or Iris control.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. If you want to capture plates, you need a camera just for that.

It is clear that you have not dialed in the camera to capture plates. If you are running auto shutter, yes IR will create a blinding white plate that cannot be read.

And hopefully you have zoomed in tight as well.

Unless you have stadium quality light or ideal conditions like a street light right over a stop sign that you can get a straight on angle, then you need a lot of IR to capture plates at night.

Most of us have found that at the zoom we have to operate for LPR, that IVS will miss a lot, especially at night.

IVS needs to be able to see the object and analyze it and determine it is a vehicle and at night that won't happen. You are best to run a camera for plate duty as Motion Detection, not IVS.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E

1638748698922.png

So change your shutter to 1/2000 with IR on 100 and watch the magic begin....

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
LPR