How to configure Night/Day with different settings?

Plarsson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I walked it through several times, and with WDR etc there is some blurring that I dont like. Maybe I should play more with exposure, dnr and gain.

This camera is for overview of the area. It is a passage to the backyard garden and there is a gate to the garden right behind the bright light. So independent of camera position it will face the light somehow...

The door is not the front door, but still well visible from the street. I will maybe add a small dorrbell camera on it.

Plarsson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another thing to do is test each location BEFORE mounting a camera to see what the advantages and disadvantages of even slightly different locations can provide.
Oh I agree with you completely. As said before, current placement of camera is for convenience and can be changed. Im in the beginning of my IP camera career, so still in learning phase. However, for this area, it is difficult to place the camera so that it doesnt have the light disturbing as the interesting area is right beside it. I could move the light, but that would require reviwiring of the electrics in walls which I would not like to do.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would agree with @bigredfish. That first image isn't too bad. Good overview angle but obviously not for face detection.

What size lens is that T5442? 2.8mm?
Perhaps try a 3.6mm or 6.0mm for that location, possible even corridor mode to get away from the light, if you're okay with a clipped image. See example below.

If you can shift the camera mounting location more towards the light and pointing away down the driveway the image might improve. Just a thought.

Uppfart.20201112_191317924_SSA clipped.jpg

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BTW - For those who might be wondering what an UPPFART is, it's DRIVEWAY in Swedish. Reference link below.
Wasn't someone else slightly curious? :D
And while we're having a Cliff Clavin moment, INFART = ENTRANCE. There's also a word TILLFART = ACCESS.

Plarsson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would agree with @bigredfish. That first image isn't too bad. Good overview angle but obviously not for face detection.

What size lens is that T5442? 2.8mm?
Perhaps try a 3.6mm or 6.0mm for that location, possible even corridor mode to get away from the light, if you're okay with a clipped image. See example below.

If you can shift the camera mounting location more towards the light and pointing away down the driveway the image might improve. Just a thought.
Thanks for your input!

It is a 2.8mm. Yes, it is possible to mount it closer to the light, But I still would like to catch the gate just behind the light :)

My idea is that this camera is for overview. I would like to add another camera (if refering to the picture i posted) on the other side of the light and gate, i.e, right next to the house. I could then mount this second camera at any height between 0-2m, perfect for facial recog.

Plarsson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BTW - For those who might be wondering what an UPPFART is, it's DRIVEWAY in Swedish. Reference link below.
Wasn't someone else slightly curious? :D
And while we're having a Cliff Clavin moment, INFART = ENTRANCE. There's also a word TILLFART = ACCESS.

Haha, love it that you check it out. "Uppfart" and "Infart" are common words. "TIllfart" is not as common.
You did however miss the best one "Farthinder", with means speed bump. And here is the traffic sign for it:
I have US friends at work, and there are a few things like this they laugh about :)

Reaction score
Gents. If the camera is set in the menu to day/night switch to auto it follows the sun rise and sun set but only uses one scene/profile (day) setting and auto means turning on the IR leds automatically only ! if the supplementary additions like WDR/BLC /HLC don't help at night that's it. You have to have more floods lights outside so it daytime at night and leave the camera on day time if the picture is still poor add more lights. If you put the day/night switch to day it stops it going black and white with the flood lights on.

All CCTV cameras have the same problem the manufactures don't recognise independent day and night settings. Using the schedule switch is a waste of time as sun rise and sun set change 2 mins per day each day as the year goes by. So hence in Asia it does not hence know one thinks about the rest of the world hence it not on the cameras.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few manufacturers have understood this and fixed it.
Some of them are more reluctant to understanding it, but people are working on it or working around the problem - see the long/lat software for controlling Dahua IPC's as an example.

Newer firmware Dahua IPC now have a 4th profile switching option called Day/Night which ties the Day and Night profile to the ICR cut.
But it's still long/lat has it's place too, as the ICR cut responds to lighting changes eg headlights.