How to change the ip of my poe ip cam it only has one plug?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to change the default ip on a new onvif poe ip cam. Problem is, it only has one RJ-45 plug for both power and data. I need to patch it to my laptop to make the change but with no power my computer can't discover it. Would a poe injector between my camera and laptop do the trick? Is there another way perhaps? My nvr is Dahua with a built in poe switch and the scheme is 10.1.1.x. Default on the camera is 192.168.1.10.

Thanks,
Tubac

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make sure or change ip on your dahua NVR to something other than 192.168.1.108 and then connect 1 cam at a time to your network. using remote tab search for connected camera. ad cam, clik modify and change ip address a

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to change the default ip on a new onvif poe ip cam. Problem is, it only has one RJ-45 plug for both power and data. I need to patch it to my laptop to make the change but with no power my computer can't discover it. Would a poe injector between my camera and laptop do the trick? Is there another way perhaps? My nvr is Dahua with a built in poe switch and the scheme is 10.1.1.x. Default on the camera is 192.168.1.10.

Thanks,
Tubac
I have done it 2 different ways, You could do it through the NVR as marid2apterbilt said, you should be able to modify it that way for sure if its a dahua camera. It may or may not work that way with non dahua cameras. You could change the ip address of your laptop to the same tcpip subnet and use a power injector. dahua has a ip config tool that will go out and find your camera or if you know the ip address log in to it directly. I posted a picture of what I did in this link.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9375-Selfie-Cart

If you can't get it configured that way this by theory should work, Set the tcpip address to 192.168.1.XX on your laptop, anything but the one of the camera;s and plug the laptop into a open port of the NVR. You should be able to directly log into it that way as long as the camera and the laptop share the same subnet. I have not tried it that way but if the nvr is acting like a switch, it should work. Good luck.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have done it 2 different ways, You could do it through the NVR as marid2apterbilt said, you should be able to modify it that way for sure if its a dahua camera. It may or may not work that way with non dahua cameras. You could change the ip address of your laptop to the same tcpip subnet and use a power injector. dahua has a ip config tool that will go out and find your camera or if you know the ip address log in to it directly. I posted a picture of what I did in this link.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9375-Selfie-Cart

If you can't get it configured that way this by theory should work, Set the tcpip address to 192.168.1.XX on your laptop, anything but the one of the camera;s and plug the laptop into a open port of the NVR. You should be able to directly log into it that way as long as the camera and the laptop share the same subnet. I have not tried it that way but if the nvr is acting like a switch, it should work. Good luck.
Thank you both. The camera is a no name ebay special. I am using it because of its small size (its going in an owl nest box) My nvr is dahua ,the camera is onvif. I think the i will try using an injector to power it and go directly to my laptop. Don't know if i'll need a crosover cable or not. I have 6 cameras on my present system which is working great. I don't want to screw something up by changing the ip on the nvr.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not had to use a crossover cable for the newer dahua cameras I use, they are auto sensing. With a no name, that might not be the case. You will not have to change anything on the nvr, you are just using it as a switch, Just change your IP address on your laptop to 192.168.1.x and plug it into one of the poe ports on the back of the nvr. Make sure your camera is plugged into one of the poe ports and try to ping it, if you can, you will be able to log in and make your changes without buying a poe injector. Its worth a shot.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have a gigabit ethernet port on one end there is no need for a cross over cable anymore, so if your laptop/desktop or whatever has a GigE port it'll straight connect to any ethernet device.

its not the camera thats doing it, its the other end.. connect that cam to a 10/100 interface and you'll need a crossover again.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks guys ,I will give it a go. I was going to disconnect an injector I have, but i will try your method first.

Again, thank you for the help.

Tubac

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
if you have a gigabit ethernet port on one end there is no need for a cross over cable anymore, so if your laptop/desktop or whatever has a GigE port it'll straight connect to any ethernet device.

its not the camera thats doing it, its the other end.. connect that cam to a 10/100 interface and you'll need a crossover again.
I use a older xp dell with a Network Broadcom 440x 10/100 with no crossover to connect to the cameras, I just assumed it was the camera,s. Perhaps it the power injector ? Good point

Last edited by a moderator:

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am a Mac user so i am not too knowledgable on the pc. I have an old Windows computer running Vista. Would anyone give me a short course on changing the network settings to reflect the changes you suggested? I've used the windows computer to change the ip on a couple of onvif cameras but they both had separate power supply plugs.

thanks,
Tubac

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have not had to use a crossover cable for the newer dahua cameras I use, they are auto sensing. With a no name, that might not be the case. You will not have to change anything on the nvr, you are just using it as a switch, Just change your IP address on your laptop to 192.168.1.x and plug it into one of the poe ports on the back of the nvr. Make sure your camera is plugged into one of the poe ports and try to ping it, if you can, you will be able to log in and make your changes without buying a poe injector. Its worth a shot.
i was able to change the ip with the above setup plus assigning the laptop running Vista a static ip in the same range as the camera. That and an ip change tool that came on the cd with the camera. In fact the tool automatically set the camera
to the 10.1.1xxx scheme needed for my built in POE switch on my nvr and assigned a random ip (10.1.1.128). Simultaneously with the change in ip, the camera was available on my nvr menu. It have attached a screen shot showing the new cam and ip. The thing that puzzles me is the "Port 4" designation which was assigned automatically. The original port was 34567.

My question: Can i modify the camera's ip and port using the nvr's software?

Thanks,

Tubac

Attachments

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Since it is a non dahua camera, you might be limited to how much you can change from the nvr menu. I guess it time to set a static IP on your laptop to the 10.1.1.xx range and hook it back up the way you did before, I assume you plugged it in to a port on the nvr? Do that and open Internet explorer and type in the ip of that camera and see if you can log back into it through your browser, If you can you might be able to make adjustments on the cameras built in setup program. You should be able to at least see it live on your laptop and have some menus you can mess around with. Good luck.