How to build a functional system that deters crime?

Reaction score
I have read many posts in this community and just wanted to thank you for some amazing content!

I have been tasked with having a security camera system installed in our residential gated community (no guard on duty) after a few instances where the thieves pushed open the gates and then searched vehicles parked outside and stole things from inside unlocked cars. Most recently 2 vehicles were stolen that were parked in the driveway. We think it may have been an inside job by workers. These events are always at night (importance of low light cameras). I am not sure we have had a daytime incident that required footage.

We have about 75 homes, each on approximately 1/3 acre (close together). I am a techie at heart so I have read a lot, watched the Hook Up videos, and learned about CMOS sensors and the impact of low light and megapixels., external infrared emitters, etc. At a high level, I think I get it. I am sure there is much more that I need to learn but I am at least dangerous. I have also had 4 different vendors come onsite and price systems from Dahua, Eagle Eye + Lorex, All Eagle Eye, Flock Safety, and All Alibi. This will all be outside in enclosures so I need to consider the impact of weather on the equipment. Would love all solid-state hardware that can survive wide swings in temp (I think Eagle Eye bridges are 14-122 degrees). While I am capable of installing myself, this most likely will be a vendor-installed solution as I am using community funds. Installed prices have been between $10K-$15K for installation and that seems acceptable to the community. This includes vented exterior NEMA enclosures, running electrical, mounting hardware, equipment, wifi point to point, POE switched, etc.

What has been struggling to make a decision is a lack of clear understanding of the benefits. The police have said that they believe that these are pros that are "hitting the neighborhoods. They know what they are doing and most of the time are in stolen vehicles, fake paper, or stolen license plates. Adding security cameras at the entrance and exit gates (separated by a 15-foot wall) would allow us to capture video of these vehicles and provide the police with footage most likely without any real benefit in stopping it.

One of the last vendors suggested that we pay for live monitoring of the cameras using event-based alerting. I know this sounds ridiculous but I didn't know that existed (I should have guessed). That makes a lot of sense. If we could identify actions that signal an intruder such as forcing/ramming gates open with a vehicle, putting gates open by hand, driving around at 4 am and stopping at multiple houses, exiting the vehicle and then quickly getting back in, etc then we would be able to build a comprehensive plan to select the right cameras and monitoring solution. What I began to realize is that I needed to stop focusing on megapixels, and CMOS sensors and identify the events that need to be captured based on what actions can be taken. Start with the end in mind.

While I love hardware and software, the "plan" is not as fun to design. This takes a deeper understanding of the software and monitoring capabilities of different solutions to build a comprehensive understanding of what technology/services will support what actions/events/alerts and then buy the appropriate technology and services to support them.

This is becoming a lot to digest for a newbie. Where I could really use some help/direction is the following
  • Am I trying to plan a 'too perfect' solution and just need to get started?
  • What events are realistic to trigger an alert to a monitoring company
  • Do I want to include LPR so that maybe I could program all residents' license plates and combine logic (unrecognized plate + late night entrance)
  • What equipment supports using something like AI to support these event triggers
  • Would I need to place cameras throughout the community to confirm the actions of late-night visitors (would prefer a car tracking drone as opposed to cameras past the gate)
  • What am I am not asking that I should
I would like a great solution that actually reduces the likelihood of community incidence and can quickly alert the police to do a drive-by. We are also having conversations with other nearby communities to hire a security patrol vehicle to patrol multiple communities. Have a system like this in each neighborhood and sharing information like a vehicle with an unknown license plate has entered and exited multiple monitor gated communities.

We have the budget for a system and ongoing fees. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bigredfish is our neighborhood system expert.

LPR is a must.

Yes there are many companies that one can use for 24/7 monitoring. While we don't recommend Ring cameras, they can accept certain ONVIF 2MP cameras and have a "reasonable" monthly rate for that purpose.

Since it is a gated community, then you simply have those cameras on the 24/7 monitoring and tell them anyone not accessing it correctly (pushing open or climbing over) warrants a police phone call.

In the meantime, here are some additional subdivision threads to read that includes posts from bigredfish on his journey:

Reaction score
@wittaj Digested. Thank you. Great information. I think that helps with hardware options for the community. Any thoughts about live event monitoring and third-party monitoring services?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry I'm behind today. Those should have most of my info.

My HOA setup is not live monitored. I rely on email notifications between midnight and 6am, which are pretty quick but dont replace live alerts obviously. I also scan the NVR timeline over coffee each day. But really its for going back after the fact for evidence. We've helped LE put a few in jail over the past 6-7 years
We get 400-600 "events" per day between vehicles, license plates and humans walking around so realtime alerts not practical. Even at night I'll see 50-100 events. You may have far fewer being gated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Live event monitoring and 3rd party are always a wildcard.

With a gated community, the options are so much better.

With a Dahua OEM camera, you could set up an IVS event for just a human as there shouldn't be many people at the gate as it would be more cars?

You could even set up a loitering trigger for a vehicle too long in front of the gate.

If you have folks that are night owls, set up an alert to send them during certain hours based on what is happening. Being a gated community and being able to do different parameters to be concerned with, maybe the triggers wouldn't be as many as bigredfish sees.

On the flip-side, if the community has the income to support 24/7 live monitoring, that will beat sending alerts to folks in the community that may or may not see them timely.

Some of them can get pricy if not using their system, but you don't really want to lock into a long term equipment and monitoring contract either. Usually the equipment is junk and you pay a premium on it and find out when you cancel the service because of increased costs, the equipment you bought is crap and won't work with anything else.

Like I said, while we don't recommend Ring cameras, their alarm systems and 24/7 monitoring are reasonably priced. $99/month for video monitoring 24/7 may be too much for a homeowner, but for a subdivision of 75 homes, the cost per home isn't much.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
No guarantee but the obvious presence of cameras and signage stating that people and vehicles are being monitored and recorded may help deter some people. But then again, that would require them to be able to read. I hate having to pay subscription services. I thought that property taxes were my subscription fee for police who can enforce the law. But, we've become a society that believes enforcement is optional and sometimes unnecessary. And sorry for the OP as Austin has really gone down the shitter since I lived there 20 years ago.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have read many posts in this community and just wanted to thank you for some amazing content!

I have been tasked with having a security camera system installed in our residential gated community (no guard on duty) after a few instances where the thieves pushed open the gates and then searched vehicles parked outside and stole things from inside unlocked cars. Most recently 2 vehicles were stolen that were parked in the driveway. We think it may have been an inside job by workers. These events are always at night (importance of low light cameras). I am not sure we have had a daytime incident that required footage.

We have about 75 homes, each on approximately 1/3 acre (close together). I am a techie at heart so I have read a lot, watched the Hook Up videos, and learned about CMOS sensors and the impact of low light and megapixels., external infrared emitters, etc. At a high level, I think I get it. I am sure there is much more that I need to learn but I am at least dangerous. I have also had 4 different vendors come onsite and price systems from Dahua, Eagle Eye + Lorex, All Eagle Eye, Flock Safety, and All Alibi. This will all be outside in enclosures so I need to consider the impact of weather on the equipment. Would love all solid-state hardware that can survive wide swings in temp (I think Eagle Eye bridges are 14-122 degrees). While I am capable of installing myself, this most likely will be a vendor-installed solution as I am using community funds. Installed prices have been between $10K-$15K for installation and that seems acceptable to the community. This includes vented exterior NEMA enclosures, running electrical, mounting hardware, equipment, wifi point to point, POE switched, etc.

What has been struggling to make a decision is a lack of clear understanding of the benefits. The police have said that they believe that these are pros that are "hitting the neighborhoods. They know what they are doing and most of the time are in stolen vehicles, fake paper, or stolen license plates. Adding security cameras at the entrance and exit gates (separated by a 15-foot wall) would allow us to capture video of these vehicles and provide the police with footage most likely without any real benefit in stopping it.

One of the last vendors suggested that we pay for live monitoring of the cameras using event-based alerting. I know this sounds ridiculous but I didn't know that existed (I should have guessed). That makes a lot of sense. If we could identify actions that signal an intruder such as forcing/ramming gates open with a vehicle, putting gates open by hand, driving around at 4 am and stopping at multiple houses, exiting the vehicle and then quickly getting back in, etc then we would be able to build a comprehensive plan to select the right cameras and monitoring solution. What I began to realize is that I needed to stop focusing on megapixels, and CMOS sensors and identify the events that need to be captured based on what actions can be taken. Start with the end in mind.

While I love hardware and software, the "plan" is not as fun to design. This takes a deeper understanding of the software and monitoring capabilities of different solutions to build a comprehensive understanding of what technology/services will support what actions/events/alerts and then buy the appropriate technology and services to support them.

This is becoming a lot to digest for a newbie. Where I could really use some help/direction is the following
  • Am I trying to plan a 'too perfect' solution and just need to get started?
  • What events are realistic to trigger an alert to a monitoring company
  • Do I want to include LPR so that maybe I could program all residents' license plates and combine logic (unrecognized plate + late night entrance)
  • What equipment supports using something like AI to support these event triggers
  • Would I need to place cameras throughout the community to confirm the actions of late-night visitors (would prefer a car tracking drone as opposed to cameras past the gate)
  • What am I am not asking that I should
I would like a great solution that actually reduces the likelihood of community incidence and can quickly alert the police to do a drive-by. We are also having conversations with other nearby communities to hire a security patrol vehicle to patrol multiple communities. Have a system like this in each neighborhood and sharing information like a vehicle with an unknown license plate has entered and exited multiple monitor gated communities.

We have the budget for a system and ongoing fees. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!!
Hi @slickrock22

"How to build a functional system that deters crime?"

"I have been tasked with having a security camera system installed in our residential gated community (no guard on duty .. "

hmmmmm .. think I have identified one thing already that can help ..

As you are in Austin TX, voting people who are not thinking Kalifornian would also help ..

Dogs, Guns, reputation of consequences, ..

Cameras while useful, in my experience only deters some from crime .. so definitely get security cameras up

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It just boggles my mind why in this day and age, people still leave their cars unlocked, and valuables in cars.
There are no such thing as safe neighborhoods, that's a fallacy.
The more expensive the homes and cars, the more likely they are to be targeted.

You may well be surprised how much nighttime traffic you have in your subdivision once you get cameras up.
May want to consider an alarm on the gate that triggers if it is manually pushed open. It can be done.

Reaction score
So much great info! Thanks! See individual responses below.

@bigredfish We may need to recruit you as a resident, That's amazing you check the system daily! No one would take that job on here. We are looking at Eagle Eye. Matter of fact I have a Bridge 305 (with PoE) on its way. Purchased off eBay. I only want to use it to test a few different cameras. It seems like there is so much variability that testing some different models and focal lengths would allow us to really dial it. Once dialed in we can have a system professionally installed/supported. I don't think that Eagle Eye has its own monitoring (or at least I am not aware). One of the vendors recommends eyeforce.com as the live monitoring service. I need to dig in more about exactly what you get. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

@wittaj I need to get some better pricing on Live monitoring to understand the cost. My first estimate was $100/month for live monitoring which seems very reasonable, too reasonable. Is it possible to design an event that identifies forced gate entry? I have seen events for climbing a fence, loitering, etc, but nothing specifically on behavior around forced entry. We do not live in an area that has foot traffic so 99.9% of thieves are driving in and out.

@Sybertiger We only moved in 2016. It has been pretty consistent with some type of petty theft every 6-12 months. I haven't been here long enough to know what it was like before.

@mat200 I didn't think about a live guard on the premises. Maybe we should consider that. I wonder what that costs. Any ideas?

@looney2ns We have a pretty good idea of traffic as we have a Liftmaster CAVXL access panel that tracks all access to the community, minus forced entry of course. between midnight-6 am it is probably only 10-20 cars on average. 300-400 per day.

When I watched the Smart Home Hookup, he recommended the Axis 3248-LVE as best in class @ $1100 (now 3265-LVE). Considering our budget would you recommend this type of best-in-class camera or better to get a few different focal length cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us feel that the increased cost in Axis isn't represented in the same incremental increase in picture quality. There are a few models that are exceptions, but for most of us the Dahua OEM cameras represent the best overall value in terms of cost and performance day and night.

If you have not seen this thread, this shows the importance of focal length over MP and provides Amazon links to the most commonly recommended cameras here based on distance to IDENTIFY.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dont get me worn, Im not a fan of Eagle Eye per se. I would recommend keeping control and direct access over your system. If they dont provide live monitoring, I'd look at a company that does just that.
EE's backhaul via their bridge at off peak hours seemed to work well, but at a price. You're still uploading a lot of video over the wire and there will be costs involved with that bandwidth usage. Also they were't keen at the time on providing full time recording or hi res recording. Make sure you go over the fine print.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score