How many types of event detection are there?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've so far read about these:
Standard motion detection
tripwire
intrusion zone
audio detect
face detect
Auto tracking

Are there others?

Other than the standard motion detection, which types can be accomplished by an NVR or in Blue Iris for any camera vs. having to be applied in specific brand/model camera's UI settings only?

Are any of these options more reliable than others, (ex. standard motion detect false triggers on clouds, leaves, light etc....I have read auto track is gimmicky and does not really work well.)?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tripwire/intrusion zone are most effective, better than standard motion in most situations.. but requires enough frame in picture to trigger object detection.. so your zone or line needs to be kinda in the middle of the image for best results.

audio detection works pretty well but is susceptible to air/street traffic and would work best in some remote, and quiet locations.

face detect is hard to pull off 24/7 in all lighting conditions, would be best indoors where you control the lighting, and likely at head-height if you want 100% success.

Auto Tracking is total junk, just chases moving objects.. like an obnoxious, poorly trained dog that finds leaves and shadows threatening.

There is also Abandoned Object detection/Loitering that could be used for mailrooms and lobbies, and the opposite.. Missing Object/Parking detection that detects if an object is not there.. these could be paired up with a PTZ to say zoom in on a car or people loitering in an area.

There are more, fast moving object for parking areas.. and other ones that have very specific uses for mostly transportation, and industrial security settings.

In most cases, if the camera is doing the intelligent video processing, you only get to pick one feature.. you cant enable them all.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks,

Are these features specific to a particular camera and\or camera mfg's NVR, (like I first heard of "tripwire on some Dahua cameras), or does intelligent NVR software like BI have the capability to do some\all of these different types of detection off camera...or can they just do the basic motion detect?

I like some of those event detection options so I'm trying to determine if I can get them via purchasing a particular NVR software and use any camera or if I have to buy a specific mfg's camera to get those features.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hikvision also has these features on some Camera/NVR.. as well does Dahua.. not all cameras will have em, sometimes these features are optional.

I have no idea about BlueIris's capabilities, never touched it due to the whole requires windows thing.

more than likely, you need to buy cameras with this capability.. and a NVR too