How many of you live in a "safe" place?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thought this was as good a place as any to post this LOL. So many people tell the story of their life on their car. Almost as bad as people with public Facebook pages documenting their vacation in real time:

1662389575248.png

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is an interesting use case I thought that I would share. I have a very advanced smart home setup. Part of its responsibilities is to monitor for any water leaks.
But you quickly learn that no water leak solution is perfect.
So when I installed our whole house water filtration system last summer I couldn’t help but notice that the inline impeller caused the three lights on top to flash based on the amount of flow present (see red arrow in image below).
So I placed one of my old LaView cameras above it. The middle light blinks when the water is barely moving.
The impeller is sensitive enough to catch a leaky toilet.
The fridge ice maker causes the impeller to spin as well
I can log on anytime and see if there is water being used of any amount.
If you have lived through a water damage incident, then you know monitoring this can be a peaceful addition to your day
B2CFB4B8-6B77-4663-B191-373A608E67F5.jpeg

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is not an issue. Do you live in an extreme weather location like Alaska?

If this concern bothers you, they sell cameras that have heaters built in. Its all about your budget and what your local installation challenges are
"Extreme" is as relative as "safe" lol. I once worked with some roughnecks from Alaska, and they hated North Dakota winters. They went back to Alaska pretty quick.

Here in South Dakota, -20 isn't common but is not record breaking, especially in a cold year. Will I exceed the -22 rating of a 5442 this winter, I hope not, but can't guarantee it. This year we saw -29, and -33 in 2021

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about low temperatures unless it's a PTZ. Cameras run warm to begin with and are sealed tight, as in water tight, so any heat they generate stays inside them. A PTZ might get "frozen" due to lube on the gears getting too viscous from the cold, but that's about it. The electronics would just keep plugging along.

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought my cameras mostly for watching the wildlife on my farm. Or filming comedy gold. Where I live, there are only 2 options for you being at my house:

1. You know me and I welcome you in my house at anytime.
2. You turned into the incorrect farm lane, thought you didn't need to turn around the first 600 feet, after passing 3 No Trespassing signs, when you realized this wasn't the farm lane you were looking for, and by the time you got back to my house, behind the hill and in the woods, you truly were lost. By that time, you see a half nekid fat guy on a diesel gator, coming out from under a massive car port, AR-10 in hand, coming at you at 35 mph. That's the comedy gold part.:thumb:

Last edited: