How Low Should I Mount on Entrance

Reaction score
Just ordered a turrent camera to see how I ~feel~ about IP cams on the house.

For this 1st camera install, I plan to install it on our rear entrance.
There is a porch with a 4-5 stair walkup.
The plan is to mount the camera close towards the door to get a good facial hot as well overlooking the stairs.

How low should I go. 8 inches above the door ?
I'm not too overly concerned about damage to the camera - as in order to get to it, you will need to walk up the stairs....and I would have already gotten a capture.

Besides, anyone making up the porch can just grab a bench/chair and get to the camera even if I mount high.
Is 7 feet too low ?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The right height to mount that camera is the height which you are most comfortable with and which provides you with the results you need to meet your field of view requirements. Focal length will definitely play a part in this. What size lens did you order?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For facial recognition, cam needs to be at average eye level in the event that the perp is wearing a hat.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have mine about 8" above and to the right of the door. Mine is a 2.8 with a 95 degree FOV. I have full facial as they walk up and as they stand at the door (most people back up a couple of feet) I have the top and front of their head. I would think eye level is too obtrusive and hard to mount. Best thing to do is get a ladder and have a friend hold it in different places while you check the views on your phone.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you're defending your property, do you really care if you offend someone? For instance, I had Mormons come to my house last week everday at the same time and ignore my no solicitors sign in front of their eyeballs and also try to ignore the fact that the camera was pointed right toward them. I open carry daily and they didn't stop until I confronted them from my neighbors house and advised them that I had footage of them all week and they saw my gun on my hip. They haven't come back since. So if you can't respect my property then you are subject to me confronting you.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Speaking only for my situation I can do both. Great video of people coming to my door, most of which are friends or delivery people ,without placing a camera in their face. Also, for me, it wasn't needed and cable is well hidden. Each situation is different. I also have other cams monitoring the walkway as they come up and if they park in front I got that too. Layered.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understand. For me, be a use I am the security guy for my neighborhood, my neighbors and friends welcome my cameras and hence I have I stalled 5 camera systems in my neighborhood. I welcome anyone to know that my property is monitored.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You got some good info. In general, facial recognition is best accomplished at ground level, while protection against vandalism is best done at about 15 feet off the ground.

I tend to use a combination of the two in my commercial applications.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A tactic I have seen used is to mount something that draws the eye up, at the same level as the camera. They look up at your interesting widget and give you a nice face shot.

Reaction score
While I plan to just grab a long cord and play around with positioning, is the pov best attained with the camera offset from the door (either pointing left or right & down). For example, in a local supermarket that was recently built, they had one dome literally in the middle of the doing pointing down.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find it best to get the face shot from a longer range on approach rather than at the door, using a zoom lens.