How I Make Brims for My Turrets

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Because it rains a lot here in the Pacific northwest, my turrets need a little help to control how many raindrops land on their glass. I add aluminum brims to them and it makes a big difference. Doesn't make it zero, but definitely reduces rain hits to a small fraction. Mine are made using aluminum flashing. I get mine as a roll from Home Depot and it comes in handy for many different projects that need a bit of sheet metal.

1. I zoom the camera out to the WIDEST view I will be using. If you don't do this, the brim may be too large and be visible when you zoom wider.

2. I tape paper on the camera to create a pattern. While looking at the camera's video image, I can mark how much paper must be cut away to be out of lens sight. Here is my paper pattern taped on the camera. Some of my pen marks are still visible. Oops. Got some Sharpie on the camera - nothing that some isopropyl won't wipe away.
paper on camera.jpg

paper patter.jpg

3. Afix paper pattern on aluminum flashing piece and trim with aviation snips. Ignore the markings on the aluminum. Those are scrap pieces. The paper pattern is what guides my cutting them out.

cutting.jpg

4. Cut out two for today's project. These pieces are then sandpapered to dull the edges and etch their surfaces so paint will stick. I paint black on inside of brim, and whatever color I need on outside of brim.
It is easier to paint the brims if you curl them and stand them up.

Long zip ties and strips of 3M double sided adhesive tape readily secure the brims to the camera.

cut out.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks good. Those are fancier than what I ended up trying that I posted in this thread.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is raining tonight. Since, I'm still waiting for the new brim paint to dry, one of my turrets is outside without a brim. Here it is along with two other turrets that have brims installed.

All three caps are within seconds of each other. All three cams are full exposed to the elements.

Turret A WITHOUT a brim.
Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 21.18.23.jpg

Turret B with a brim
Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 21.19.02.jpg

Turret C with a brim
Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 21.18.12.jpg
The streaks in all three images are rain droplets.

Mind you, only the larger droplets are obvious as flaring around lights in the Turret A image. There are also other droplets that are creating blobs of blurriness.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These "brims" remind me of the traffic signal visors we used on, well....traffic signals!

There were "cap" visors, which are very close to the designs being sought for the cameras.
"Full circle" visors (most popular) and "tunnel" visors (can help with snow accumulation and allow pedestrians to see the colors of the opposing signal when no pedestrian signals are provided).

signal-visors.jpg

Reaction score
These "brims" remind me of the traffic signal visors we used on, well....traffic signals!

There were "cap" visors, which are very close to the designs being sought for the cameras.
"Full circle" visors (most popular) and "tunnel" visors (can help with snow accumulation and allow pedestrians to see the colors of the opposing signal when no pedestrian signals are provided).

View attachment 186115
They’re quite effective at keeping the sun from “blinding” the light making it hard to see which color is actually lit up at the moment.
In the case of a camera they do a good job of keeping the sun from “blinding” the sensor when it has to be facing that direction as well as keeping precipitation off the lens cover

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Brims curled to shape. Small strip of 3M construction adhesive tape (red backing still on) will help hold in place both during installation and strengthen the mounting.
It takes two zip ties/camera to reach completely around. Not shown, but also used is EnduroShield glass treatment used to make the camera glass more water repellant.
Tie tightening tool and flush cutters complete my kit.

supplies.jpg

Brim mounts on barrel shaped portion of turret. The 3M adhesive tape makes it easy to keep in position while on slipping zip ties.
zip tie loose.jpg

Hand tightening sufficiently isn't easy. I LOVE my zip tie tightening tool. Makes it super easy getting tensioned up with precision.
zip tie tool.jpg

Once cinched up, Cut off excess zip tie length FLUSH with a flush cutter. Flush cutting reduces the risk of zip ties later cutting your skin. No diagonal cutters won't do it right. Use flush cutter.
flush cutter.jpg

The completed brim installation.

completed install.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not specifically but they are black ones and have held up for years on my cameras outdoors. Easy enough to replace but have never had to do so. Also, there is the 3M VHB tape to help hold the brims in place.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm suprised Dahua hasn't made brims / sun shades. I had to manufacture my own although I went with a shelf above the camera configuration due to the cameras being turned sideways as far as they would go reducing the avilable lip to play with.

Keeping the sun off the lens has made a real difference to my afternoon picture nevermindkeeping the rain away.