How does Blue Iris handle FTP access?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I setup FTP access for Blue Iris - not entirely sure how to make it send all files to FTP by default.

My ftp server is part of a Freenas box with FTP turned on. I tested it & it works.

If my freenas box reboots or shuts down - what will Blue Iris do?

I had a shared directory setup with Geovision & if it lost connectivity to the share, it wouldnt record anything until a reboot. Kind of a problem if I dont notice for a few weeks (yes this happened).

I wouldnt mind keeping "new" on the local PC & having everything that is not new, moved to the FTP directory.

How does BI handle a missing FTP - will it try again or will it need a reboot?

Thanks,
Rich

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
First you need to set up an FTP server in Blue Iris Options > FTP servers.

Then you should go here and make sure these settings are the way you want them:

upload_2018-12-12_15-10-0.png

You could use the "Clips and archiving" option above to queue the clips for backup when they leave the New folder, but what I do myself is go into each camera's properties > Record tab and check the "Queue new clips for backup" box.

upload_2018-12-12_15-11-54.png

I believe if BI fails to upload a clip to FTP it will not try again later.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know nothing about freenas.
But the best way to backup cameras is to use a clone camera recording to a nas. If the recording connection is broken and reconnected. Bi will pickup recording. It will loose the data while the connection is down. Bi will attempt to reconnect regularly.

A clone camera is a camera with the same IP , but is set to just record, no motion detection, no alerts, screen display is hidden. A clone camera does not read the data from the camera twice, it uses the same feed as the normal camera feed.

A clone camera is near realtime.