How do you setup dual LAN?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with what you are saying. It all boils down to how often you need to directly access the cams, I’m hoping that it will be infrequent. I do have a fully managed switch on the home network so can improve when I want. I’ve also seen posts here about HP managed switches being real cheap so am considering at some point replacing the POE switch with one of these to allow even further flexibility.

Not a networking expert by any stretch of the imagination but am always willing to read and learn.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with what you are saying. It all boils down to how often you need to directly access the cams, I’m hoping that it will be infrequent. I do have a fully managed switch on the home network so can improve when I want. I’ve also seen posts here about HP managed switches being real cheap so am considering at some point replacing the POE switch with one of these to allow even further flexibility.

Not a networking expert by any stretch of the imagination but am always willing to read and learn.
You can go all the way with CCNA/CCNP certifications and enterprise grade Cisco stuff (that's how I started), but my linksys LSGhupplethepup managed switch from an auction came from the UK: good stuff :p And has a fancy UI interface to twiggle with the vlan configurations.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One little botnet is indeed for the laughs, but imagine 10.000 "smart"fridges colliding into a botnet to some federal institution. That an "evil" laugh :)

But then again, I fully agree with you: dual nic is much easier, yet if you want to configure a cam without "screen" access to the BI pc, you are "lacking" flexibility. And yes, you could do RDP on that BI pc, but then you have to "open services" on that BI pc which makes that again "high" vulnerable. I already wrote it many times on this forum, and to @TL1096r : there is no ideal networking configuration, it all depends on the requirements, the budget, the flexibility, the learning curve etc. Yes, an 8th grader could setup a dual nic BI pc setup and be satisfied with it, going for vlans and managed switches is not something you would do a Sunday afternoon if you never had seen a single firewall rule, nor TCPIP stack configurations.
Ha.. yes I use RDP on BI machine as it is easier. Another thing to worry about :) :( I do get the warning when remoting in:
Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) – Certificate Warnings

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to do this and be safer.

I am sure many if it was easier would setup the vlans/firewall rules. I have the equipment now and learning. This is all thanks to @catcamstar holding my hand here. I would not be able to do this without some type of guidance as it is all new to me.

I hope to share my setup with some newbie perspectives and answer any questions.

@IAmATeaf - 2 managed switch? 1 managed switch with POE+ Gigabit capabilities for your cameras and other no POE to connect?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the person gets onto the same lan yes they can scan but if the cams are on a separate lan then without any routing they can scan all they like. In my case the only way to access the cams is via the BI pc so they’d need to get onto that before they could access the cams.
Yes, this is the situation I thought we were discussing: An isolated network but a device that wouldn't accept a blank default gateway value.