How do you deal with plugging in your outdoor camera?

Reaction score
My outdoor Foscam camera works great - when its got power. Leaving it plugged into the outlet trips the GFCI switch every few days. The covers on these things don't have room for something being continually plugged in.

Anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't use them for cams but:

Sometimes things like these can help:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My outdoor Foscam camera works great - when its got power. Leaving it plugged into the outlet trips the GFCI switch every few days. The covers on these things don't have room for something being continually plugged in.

replace your CGI outlet,,,it's probably going bad....I had a rechargeable electric razor that would do that every few days and/or the night light...2-3 days and poof it would go off...Replaced outlet,,,working fine now
When I managed the Condo.....i ran into this several times as well...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it's a bulky 12VDC or 5VDC wall wart then it's likely leaving the door open and moisture tracks across the dust from the neutral (white) to ground (green or bare) and the GFCI "thinks" that the return for the wall wart is NOT via neutral but instead through a human to earth (less than 4 milliamps will trip it).

It could be that the GFCI outlet is going bad and by now it may be after much moisture ingress but I'd still consider the items suggested by @Mike A. above to perhaps mitigate moisture getting into it a new one. You may consider an extension cord that would put the wall wart (and its 2 bare male prongs) completely out of the weather.

Last edited:

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

is this not a POE camera?