How do I tell if an IP Cam will work with a Chromebook?

Blairn

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to use an IP cam in an isolated location with no Internet connection. I plan to view the camera on a Chromebook over wi-fi but some camera I have looked at need Active X or other plug-ins or installable software. I just want to view the live camera image in a Chromebook browser window. I can do this with a Sricam PTZ camera at home but I want to buy a second outdoor bullet camera and I just need to work out what charcateristic or specification I need to look for that will enable it to work over wi-fi to a Chromebook.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to use an IP cam in an isolated location with no Internet connection.
Kinduv an open-ended question if you don't mind me saying so.
Although there is a lot of commonality amongst IP cameras they are by no means all the same in their detailed characteristics.

But - a very common standard is the ability to emit an H.264 RTSP stream on request - so I'd guess (and it is a guess ...) that using VLC on your Chromebook should work OK now that it's available for that platform.

Blairn

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair

Thanks for your response. I certainly don't mind you saying so - that was the purpose of my question - to get help from the wiser ones.

Thanks for your advice.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score