how do I know if I need Starlight?

RROONNBB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just curious if anybody has suggestions for determining if Starlight is actually necessary given that I've got a fairly well-lit street. For me the tradeoff would be getting a higher-resolution sensor, assuming it'll hold up at night.

I've actually got an IPC-HDW5231R-Z on order - once I set that up will I be able to see, for instance, the ISO/Aperture/Shutter that it chooses at night to know how much light it's getting? (I'm ultimately going to setup about 6 cameras so I'm hoping to learn what I really need by playing with that one).

Any other thoughts on how to best determine what's most useful for my specific scenario?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Especially at night, a higher resolution sensor usually just results in more noise. A starlight or darkfighter does a lot better than the average camera.
There's a lot more to a good camera than the number of megapixels and a lot of variation within models with the same resolution. Higher resolution can be useful during the day or in a bright indoor environment.

Here are a couple example threads:
Garbage truck takes out my neighbor's car
Dahua 8mp NON-Starlight HDW5830R-Z review

RROONNBB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Especially at night, a higher resolution sensor usually just results in more noise. A starlight or darkfighter does a lot better than the average camera.
There's a lot more to a good camera than the number of megapixels and a lot of variation within models with the same resolution. Higher resolution can be useful during the day or in a bright indoor environment.
Yes, totally understand the tradeoff between resolution and low-light sensitivity. I'm just curious if anybody's tried to quantify when that tradeoff is needed. Given a street with enough artificial light you could potentially get away with a 4Mp camera instead of needing the greater sensitivity of a 2Mp.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, totally understand the tradeoff between resolution and low-light sensitivity. I'm just curious if anybody's tried to quantify when that tradeoff is needed. Given a street with enough artificial light you could potentially get away with a 4Mp camera instead of needing the greater sensitivity of a 2Mp.
My hunch is that what you believe to be "enough" artificial light isn't anywhere close.

5-8mp sensors are often better quality and larger than the older 4mp sensors. You shouldn't expect much if any benefit to more pixels at night. You can benefit from a higher res camera for LPR with an IR illuminator at night (this would be a dedicated camera). Search the forum for some specific camera models your considering, use wildcards if you aren't finding what you want and look for sample images (if might take you a while to find them). Searching youtube can also be helpful.

Did you even bother looking at the threads I linked to above?

RROONNBB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My hunch is that what you believe to be "enough" artificial light isn't anywhere close.

Did you even bother looking at the threads I linked to above?
Your hunch is probably right overall, but one of my house-corners is almost directly under a street-light. Ultimately I was hoping for something more concrete than hunches :)

And yes, did look at both of those threads and they certainly demonstrate what I already understand about megapixel/starvis/sensitivity/sensorsize/etc., tradeoffs. And they clearly show that at a certain light level, a higher megapixel camera will give a superior image.

What I haven't found yet (still searching) is a good discussion on how to determine WHAT light level is needed to cross that threshold.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your hunch is probably right overall, but one of my house-corners is almost directly under a street-light. Ultimately I was hoping for something more concrete than hunches :)

And yes, did look at both of those threads and they certainly demonstrate what I already understand about megapixel/starvis/sensitivity/sensorsize/etc., tradeoffs. And they clearly show that at a certain light level, a higher megapixel camera will give a superior image.

What I haven't found yet (still searching) is a good discussion on how to determine WHAT light level is needed to cross that threshold.
you need lots of light for an 8mp camera to provide good image at night, much more than a streetlight can supply...buy both and do your own testing - then use the other in another location...also note that since you dont control that light, if it goes off you will have a crap image until its repaired..

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How does IR factor into this? Wouldn't you just turn on IR sooner on a non-starlight camera to compensate for it's poorer performance under visible light?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How does IR factor into this? Wouldn't you just turn on IR sooner on a non-starlight camera to compensate for it's poorer performance under visible light?
no...and even with both cams using ir, the starlight 2mp is orders of magnitude better.