How Do I Add/Create an Audio Only Camera

axmeone

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to record an analog audio signal that is coming in from a USB capture device on the BI PC. I've already successfully recorded to an existing camera, but since I don't want to burn HDD space with unnecessary video, I'd like to record JUST the audio stream. Is there a way to create a new 'camera' in BI that will ignore the video signal, and record only the audio stream?

axmeone

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a similar need and would like to use BI to record just audio. Any ideas??

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can add the camera as usual, but not record anything from it, then set another cam to use and record that camera's audio.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can add the camera as usual, but not record anything from it, then set another cam to use and record that camera's audio.
But then you're back to having to record video of SOME camera just to record the audio stream unrelated to ANY camera. Is there no way to disable the video record/signal, but still have it record audio? Thereby not wasting HDD space for unnecessary video signal...

What if an existing camera was duplicated, but the frame rate is set to 1 frame every hour. Would it still record audio in real time?

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Record audio on motion or record only audio 24/7 ?

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
can you record audio even when no cameras have audio inputs? . . . using USB capture or other?

axmeone

n3wb
Reaction score
You can select an external (non camera, in my case, USB adapter) audio source and have it trigger and record based on audio level by adjusting the sensitivity of the audio trigger threshold. That is what I'm doing now. It works just fine except it's also recording video anytime I have an audio trigger event. I'd like to simply not record video, only audio. I haven't found a way to have a camera-less "camera" with audio only. Perhaps erkme73's suggestion of setting the video FPS down to 1 frame per hour is the best workaround in terms of saving hard drive space when really only audio recording is required.

axmeone

n3wb
Reaction score
I found a workaround which allows me to record essentially audio only. Under Camera properties, Video tab, then select Device type of Screen Capture and DirectDraw Blits in pull down option.