How bad of an idea is exposed exterior ethernet?

Reaction score
I'm renting currently and am looking to setup a few exterior security cameras. The plan is a unifi flex switch mounted on each side of the house with 2 cameras on each switch. Basically one on each corner. I only expect to be here 1-3 years so it does not need to hold up to the elements long term. I'm basically planning on using monoprice cat 5e UTP solid for the outdoor runs which should all be less than 30ft and somewhat protected by the elements (underneath gutter/roof overhang). Is this a terrible idea? I know direct burial rated is ideal but this is a temporary thing and I was hoping to just buy one spool for all indoor/outdoor. Also was looking for some input on the importance of grounding and stp vs utp for outdoor use as I stumbled upon a post about someone having cameras dying on them until they grounded the drain wire.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm renting currently and am looking to setup a few exterior security cameras. The plan is a unifi flex switch mounted on each side of the house with 2 cameras on each switch. Basically one on each corner. I only expect to be here 1-3 years so it does not need to hold up to the elements long term. I'm basically planning on using monoprice cat 5e UTP solid for the outdoor runs which should all be less than 30ft and somewhat protected by the elements (underneath gutter/roof overhang). Is this a terrible idea? I know direct burial rated is ideal but this is a temporary thing and I was hoping to just buy one spool for all indoor/outdoor. Also was looking for some input on the importance of grounding and stp vs utp for outdoor use as I stumbled upon a post about someone having cameras dying on them until they grounded the drain wire.
Hi @AnotherProject

I've had normal cat5e cable last outdoors when protected vs UV for a rather long time, it is when it is exposed I've had it deteriorate.

Since you're looking for short term, I'd give it a try - and try to pick a color of cable which matches the house better.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use some UV rated wire. And from my experience the black UV rated wire does better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hi @AnotherProject

I've had normal cat5e cable last outdoors when protected vs UV for a rather long time, it is when it is exposed I've had it deteriorate.

Since you're looking for short term, I'd give it a try - and try to pick a color of cable which matches the house better.
How fast are we talking when exposed?

There would be an exposed segment on each side where the wire will come out of the siding and travel ~10ft up to the roof (one side being south facing). I'm kind of leaning towards just buying a 250ft segment of direct burial from someone other than monoprice now.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How fast are we talking when exposed?

There would be an exposed segment on each side where the wire will come out of the siding and travel ~10ft up to the roof (one side being south facing). I'm kind of leaning towards just buying a 250ft segment of direct burial from someone other than monoprice now.
Depends on the cable, heat / uv intensity. You can always put some latex paint on the cable which is exposed to give it some protection. Small cans of latex exterior paint can be mixed to match the trim / wall.

Reaction score
keep in mind you can ask your local low voltage wiring contractors for their cut offs that are usually disposed of. Heck, might even give then freely.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also was looking for some input on the importance of grounding and stp vs utp for outdoor use as I stumbled upon a post about someone having cameras dying on them until they grounded the drain wire.
UTP will work, STP not needed and will not help in grounding. STP CAT is for shielding the cable from outside RF sources.
Bump the UTP up to a plenum rated cable. Even thou the plenum rating is for smoke/fire purposes, will better protect the outdoor cables vs. non-plenum.