How are various cars being entered and stolen in my neighborhood?

Reaction score
I'm throwing this out to the members of the forum to see if someone has some information relevant to auto thefts and break-ins that are taking place in my area.

The latest example: two nights ago, a 2012 Land Rover LR4 was stolen while parked on the street in front of a neighbor's home. This was done by a group of men (or teenagers) traveling in a car, with three of them going down the street and checking the doors on every vehicle along the street. When they got to my neighbor's car, the door opened, one of them got in, and about five seconds later the Land Rover started up and drove off. This was recorded on a Nest camera, so (unsurprisingly) not much detail could be seen.

Here's the thing: according to my neighbor, the vehicle was locked, and he still has both key fobs in his possession. Yet his LR4 was stolen in a matter of seconds. But how?

The popular answer nowadays is: "Oh, they're using a relay attack to pick up your key fob signal from inside your house and steal your car." Everyone says that, but I consider the "relay attack" to be the Bigfoot of auto theft devices. Everyone talks about them, but no one can show any real proof. I have yet to see any evidence beyond proof-of-concept demonstrations, and stories of professional auto theft rings in the UK and EU doing this so that top-end luxury vehicles can be resold in Eastern Europe. By every account the relay attack requires two people: one to stand by the car with one piece of equipment to generate the fake key signal, and another to get near the house with a repeater to pick up the key fob signal from inside the home. This equipment would run into the thousands of dollars, yet somehow petty criminals are able to obtain and use them, even though the police have yet to recover such a device.

The argument that a group of gangbangers would have such equipment makes no sense to me. First of all, no one can point to a website where such a device can be purchased. And if such devices could be cheaply purchased and easily used, you'd see several hundred Youtubers creating videos showing how they can open their neighbors' cars. Second, if such a device did exist, why use it to steal an 8-year-old vehicle, instead of the many other late-model luxury cars and trucks parked along the streets of my neighborhood? For that matter, why aren't they stealing luxury cars on every street every night?

I also point out to people that even if a relay attack worked, it would be useless to a thief unless he had a plan for what to do with the vehicle afterwards. Wireless key fobs use rolling pseudorandom access codes that change after every use. You might be able to open the door and drive off the first time, but you wouldn't be able to re-start the car afterwards without the key. Unless you plan to strip the car, or replace the electronics while "laundering" it for resale, you'd be stuck with a car that you couldn't use. Yet instead these stolen vehicles seem to wind up abandoned and trashed on a city side road two or three weeks later. Someone, somehow, got a lot of use out of them.

In the past I've dismissed a lot of these stories as cases of people forgetting to lock their cars, or else leaving a spare key in the car and not wanting to admit how careless they were. Yet there are some people who absolutely swear they did everything right, yet the car was still stolen.

So ... does anyone have any knowledge of how such a theft or break-in could actually be accomplished? And by the way, I'm willing to be convinced that a relay attack could be accomplished with an inexpensive piece of equipment that a teenage gang member might have in his possession, but you'll have to show me a website where I could buy one, and also a video of someone using it. Instead, all I see are hucksters selling Faraday bags to shield your key fob (kind of like selling anti-polar bear amulets to Florida residents, in my opinion).

So what are the thieves using? Maybe a "master key" obtained from a dealership? Or something less sophisticated?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
There are plenty of vids on YouTube and yes generally it needs 2.

No idea what they do with the car afterwards but from the programs I’ve seen they normally leave it parked up for a few days in case it has a tracker and then will come back and retake it if it’s still there.

Most of these high end cars are specifically ordered so they only steal cars that they have buyers for as I doubt they want to hold onto them for longer than they need to.

Reaction score
There are plenty of vids on YouTube and yes generally it needs 2.

No idea what they do with the car afterwards but from the programs I’ve seen they normally leave it parked up for a few days in case it has a tracker and then will come back and retake it if it’s still there.

Most of these high end cars are specifically ordered so they only steal cars that they have buyers for as I doubt they want to hold onto them for longer than they need to.
Yes, I've seen those videos. I could absolutely see a professional ring of thieves using sophisticated equipment like this. If you're going to steal luxury cars "to order" for buyers in other countries, then spending several thousand dollars for the right equipment makes sense. For that matter, those same professionals could park the vehicle inside a trailer with a Faraday shield to prevent the anti-theft equipment from sending a location. It would be the cost of doing business for them.

But the popular meme here in the states is that teenage gang members and random door checkers somehow have access to similar equipment that is cheap and easy to use, with only one person needed to operate it. Even the cops talk about it, but no one is ever able to show an example of such equipment.

Reaction score
65% of car thefts here in the US, or so called "broken into" a door was unlocked, and or keys left in the ignition.
Precisely, and I have always assumed that was what happened when I heard about such thefts. Someone left a door unlocked (or accidentally unlocked it), or left a key in the car. I remember one neighbor who swore that she had no idea how her car was stolen, but later admitted she had lost one of her keys a few days earlier. As it turned out, she "lost" it in the car itself. The thief opened the door, hit the start button, and off he went.

But more and more I'm hearing stories from people who claim that both their keys were constantly in their possession, yet somehow their car was stolen. Yet in every case where camera footage is available, you see some guy try the handle, get in the car, and it starts within seconds.

I have heard of "master keys" for keyless ignition systems being stolen or cloned from auto dealers. I've heard others say that such master keys don't exist - even the dealer needs a VIN number to circumvent the system for a particular vehicle.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm not getting the straight story. Everyone swears they have both key fobs, and the car was locked, but not really.

But is there some "trick" that works with (for example) a particular make or model of vehicle? I'm not familiar enough with auto wireless security to speculate myself. I was wondering if someone on this forum might be.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If they are going down the street and checking for door that are unlocked then get in to steal it ... This is not an elite "relay attack" thief since they can use it to unlock the door without having to check the lock first.

I would either think the thief have a way to bypass the security to start the car or your neighbor is saving his face and embarrassment since the door was unlock so obviously he probably did what most folks do. Hide the key fob inside somewhere thinking that nobody the wiser to test start the car if it one of those "push to start" car.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Speaking as a current cop, your neighbor simply left their car unlocked with the key fob inside. People are inherently lazy and stupid and leave their vehicles and homes unsecured all the time. There is no magic behind these incidents and its simply good luck and good odds for the bad guys. They know wealthier people believe they are safer and more secure when then live in a "nicer" area. Living in a "nicer" area allows people to go about their daily lives in peaceful bliss thinking they are safe so they let their guard down. These kids then raid the wealthier areas knowing this. A car full of 3 or 4 kids can check an entire neighborhood in 2 to 3 hours checking upwards of 200 to 300 cars a night. The odds of finding 1 car that is unlocked with a key fob inside is much greater. And its a very quick process. Once they enter the unsecured car they press the ignition and if the accessories turns on they know the fob is inside the car. And within 5 seconds car is being driven away. Tell your neighbor to stop being lazy and lock his car.

Reaction score
Speaking as a current cop, your neighbor simply left their car unlocked with the key fob inside. People are inherently lazy and stupid and leave their vehicles and homes unsecured all the time. There is no magic behind these incidents and its simply good luck and good odds for the bad guys. They know wealthier people believe they are safer and more secure when then live in a "nicer" area. Living in a "nicer" area allows people to go about their daily lives in peaceful bliss thinking they are safe so they let their guard down. These kids then raid the wealthier areas knowing this. A car full of 3 or 4 kids can check an entire neighborhood in 2 to 3 hours checking upwards of 200 to 300 cars a night. The odds of finding 1 car that is unlocked with a key fob inside is much greater. And its a very quick process. Once they enter the unsecured car they press the ignition and if the accessories turns on they know the fob is inside the car. And within 5 seconds car is being driven away. Tell your neighbor to stop being lazy and lock his car.
Thank you. It's good to hear this opinion from someone who actually deals with such crimes. It confirms what I've always believed. It was just that my neighbor was so absolutely certain. I wonder if he might have the fob to a different car in his possession, and thinks he still has both original keys for his Land Rover. What is interesting is that I have even heard of local police officers warning of "relay attacks" with keyless entry systems, yet when pressed none of them admit ever having seen such a device that can do this. They're just repeating the same stories that everyone else is hearing in the media.

If possible, I will follow up with my neighbor and his stolen Land Rover. It will probably be found abandoned on a city street sometime in the next two or three weeks, completely trashed, as is usually the case with these auto thefts.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where I live its kids that come from the urban metropolis into the nicer suburban areas. The kids normally 15, 16, 17 and 18 know, especially now the juvenile justice system is a joke with no repercussions. They drive around in a stolen car 3 to 4 people deep and just go out on a nightly basis from 1am to 5am simply looking for the next car to steal. Its a fun game to them and they dont use a RFID repeater. EVER. If people locked their cars this would be a non issue.

Reaction score
Where I live its kids that come from the urban metropolis into the nicer suburban areas. The kids normally 15, 16, 17 and 18 know, especially now the juvenile justice system is a joke with no repercussions. They drive around in a stolen car 3 to 4 people deep and just go out on a nightly basis from 1am to 5am simply looking for the next car to steal. Its a fun game to them and they dont use a RFID repeater. EVER. If people locked their cars this would be a non issue.
Where I live, it's kids from the east and north side of the city, hitting the nicer areas in midtown and the south side. Two or three nights a week there will be stories on Nextdoor of several cars being hit on various streets. Just this morning while walking my dogs, I found a ditty bag that had been stolen from someone's car one street over from mine, and tossed when the thief realized it only contained prescription meds (which fortunately had the owner's address on them).

But lately it's been getting nastier. There's some group that has been smashing passenger side windows only on pickup trucks, leaving behind any electronics or money, and rummaging through each truck looking for hidden guns. There's some trick with a screwdriver or crowbar for "popping" a window with very little noise. Supposedly this is the work of more serious gangs who care only about weapons. They hit about 30 trucks on the evening of July 4 about a mile from me, when fireworks were going off all over the city and the police were distracted with other calls.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I use perimeter alarms. Walk into my driveway At 3am and I know you’re there before you reach the vehicle. or a house entry point.

I don’t want to find out 3-4 hours later when I check my email alerts over coffee

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know if a 2012 RR would have keyless start for a relay attack to work?

Watch the guy starting around 4:22. This was from 2016, so no doubt the technology has gotten better. So, if you had a crew rolling up and down the street throwing out radio signals, eventually you're going to get a car unlocked.

Reaction score
I don't know if a 2012 RR would have keyless start for a relay attack to work?

Watch the guy starting around 4:22. This was from 2016, so no doubt the technology has gotten better. So, if you had a crew rolling up and down the street throwing out radio signals, eventually you're going to get a car unlocked.
The trick used by the guy starting at 4:22 is straightforward. Put a jammer on the car so it can't receive the key fob signal, then capture the transmitted key fob signal with a separate receiver. After that you remove the jammer, and use the recorded signal to open the car. As far as the car is concerned, it is receiving a valid signal that is the next iteration of the rolling pseudorandom key code.

It would work once, but it would require a significant amount of setup. It wouldn't work a second time once the key code automatically changes.

Based on recorded video, the door-checkers aren't doing this sort of thing. Every one of those proofs-of-concept needed significant setup time and equipment. It's not something that a bunch of thieves crammed in a car are going to be doing as they roll down the street.

I have to defer to the opinion of @coney27 about these thefts. No clever technology, no RF hacks. It's just carelessness combined with dumb luck.

Reaction score
So here is the thing on the RR stolen. IF the car was unlocked, then when they opened the door just the interior lights would come on. IF the car was locked and they used some signal to unlock it, the headlights would flash, like in the example video.

Have you seen your neighbor's video? Did the headlights flash prior to or as the door was opened?

While I do not have a Range Rover, all the other vehicles I have had with push to start technology would not allow the doors to be locked if the FOB was inside. I would get a long tone and lights stay on for a bit.

Reaction score
So here is the thing on the RR stolen. IF the car was unlocked, then when they opened the door just the interior lights would come on. IF the car was locked and they used some signal to unlock it, the headlights would flash, like in the example video.

Have you seen your neighbor's video? Did the headlights flash prior to or as the door was opened?
No, I haven't seen the video. That's an excellent point - I'll ask him about it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If it doesn't have an ignition key, made out of brass, I don't own it. Those keyless systems are just too much of a security risk from my viewpoint. Here, on IPCT, we say WiFi and security are mutually exclusive terms. I think the same thing applies to locks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible: yes absolutely.

Did your neighbors car get jacks this way? Not enough data to know... certainly more organized professional groups are doing it.

Just a Pair of These $11 Radio Gadgets Can Steal a Car

FOR YEARS, AUTOMAKERS and hackers have known about a clever attack that spoofs the signal from a wireless car key fob to open a vehicle's doors, and even drive it away. But even after repeated demonstrations—and real thefts—the technique still works on a number of models. Now a team of Chinese researchers has not only demonstrated the attack again but also made it cheaper and easier than ever.

A group of researchers at the Beijing-based security firm Qihoo 360 recently pulled off the so-called relay hack with a pair of gadgets they built for just $22. That's far cheaper than previous versions of the key-spoofing hardware. The Qihoo researchers, who recently showed their results at Amsterdam's Hack in the Box conference, say their upgrade also significantly multiplies the radio attack's range, allowing them to steal cars parked more than a thousand feet away from the owner's key fob.

The attack essentially tricks both the car and real key into thinking they're in close proximity. ..

Reaction score
Is it possible: yes absolutely.

Did your neighbors car get jacks this way? Not enough data to know... certainly more organized professional groups are doing it.

Just a Pair of These $11 Radio Gadgets Can Steal a Car
This equipment still needs two people to operate it. And it doesn't get around the fact that it only works once. Once you drive away, you can't unlock or restart the vehicle, even if you copy the signal from the key fob.

Also note that the article is 3 years old. So where are the multitude of $22 break-in devices for sale on eBay? I suspect that the actual execution of the technique is a lot trickier than the hackers make it appear. Your typical home is (nowadays) a very RF noisy environment. It would be difficult to pick up that signal standing outside a house, even with a good antenna and a sensitive receiver.

Interestingly, my neighbor has gone silent since yesterday. So it could be that he had an "uh oh" moment and doesn't want everyone to realize that he made it possible for the thieves to steal his Land Rover.

Last edited: