House with fiber to their entrance gate and asked what wire we needed for doorbell (Dauha)

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One of our business clients is building a new house. He purchased a few hundred acres. We've installed 4 ptz's and 22 fixed cameras at the new house..(so far) He has fiber from his home to the main entrance gate on his property. We've never installed any intercom and only a couple of doorbell cameras in the past - (we don't do many residental installs like this one) We've been asked what wire we want installed for the front doorbell/cam. I told my boss Dahua (the equipment we install ) makes more than just a doorbell camera . The Builder said they were gonna do a wireless doorbell but will install any cable we need.

My 1st thought was to get a network cable from the doorbell to our NVR location along with a standard doorbell cable 1or2 pr so we could do whatever we want.

Just kicking around any ideas, and think some of u guys are on top of this stuff...?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You also need power at the gate (also likely to power the gate). If it's too hard/expensive/far to run power you may be able to do solar and batteries instead.

At the gate, you'll want a PoE switch that can connect to the fiber, likely via a SFP port and adapter (depends on the type of fiber). You'll need a plan for how many cameras are going to be at the gate in addition to the doorbell / intercom.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of our business clients is building a new house. He purchased a few hundred acres. We've installed 4 ptz's and 22 fixed cameras at the new house..(so far) He has fiber from his home to the main entrance gate on his property. We've never installed any intercom and only a couple of doorbell cameras in the past - (we don't do many residental installs like this one) We've been asked what wire we want installed for the front doorbell/cam. I told my boss Dahua (the equipment we install ) makes more than just a doorbell camera . The Builder said they were gonna do a wireless doorbell but will install any cable we need.

My 1st thought was to get a network cable from the doorbell to our NVR location along with a standard doorbell cable 1or2 pr so we could do whatever we want.

Just kicking around any ideas, and think some of u guys are on top of this stuff...?
Over cable while it is affordable .. cat6 .. a couple to the doorbell and at face level by the door

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I like to tell them to run a pair of fibers to the gate along with power enough to handle a gate opener and all lighting they would ever want.
That should allow you to put in a POE switch with SPF and feed several cameras. The power should be plenty to run the switch.
Note: Read up on how far Multi mode fiber and Single mode fiber will work, there is a difference.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He purchased a few hundred acres.

How far is it from the gate to the house?

You may want to run a couple burial rated ethernet cables, but I'd try to use the fiber instead. Max distance for ethernet is 328 feet. This would maily be used if someone every wanted what I'd consider a 'legacy' intercom system like a door king.

As for intercoms / doorbells, there are different options. Some work with indoor door stations that display the intercom / cameras, but those are a bit more complicated to deal with. They may be happiest with something like a reolink doorbell or ring video doorbell elite or unifi access. There are also some very expensive gate intercoms out there.

What they want for gate access control is another aspect to consider. The Dahua door stations can trigger a relay that could open a gate. Some can use prox cards or have a keypad to enter a code.

Do you want the intercom / gate access to be part of the same system as the rest of the cameras?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you recording the cameras, an NVR or a PC running VMS software like blue iris?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For any camera locations, including the doorbell, I think I'd want to run two cat5e cables. One to use, one as a spare. Ideally shielded cables because that is less likely to be harmfully interfered with by nearby AC power lines.

Then for the doorbell specifically I'd probably also run one additional cable or standard doorbell wire in case an old-fashioned doorbell is ever desired, so the network cables don't get mangled to use as doorbell wiring. And I'd do that for every entry door to the house because why should only the front door have a doorbell and cam?

As for why I would choose cat5e in 2024, that is because it is capable of 1000 Mbps networking reliably (and has been for decades), which is still about 50-100x more bandwidth than any IP camera needs today. You could literally stream a dozen blu-ray disks in realtime over that with bandwidth to spare. I'm sure bit rates will go up in the future, but not that much, and video compression isn't going to suddenly stop working or being used. Costs add up and I wouldn't want to waste money on unneccesarily high spec cable when I'm already running two long cables to each location for redundancy.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We already did the main gate entrance last year. Single mode fiber to our junction box (and power) with POE switch. We have an LPR and two fixed, and are gonna add two more fixed and a PTZ at that gate on the road side. He has a 64 ch NVR at his pole barn for the cameras there an fiber to his shed for his cameras there so his front gate, shed and pole barn are all on 1 64 ch NVR. We did all that last year.

DH-DB61 5mp is what we've used before on residential installs but I was curious if Dahua made a simple doorbell like the dh-db61 with direct connectivity to the nvr. We are probably gonna use the dh-db61 because we have one.

His house is taking much longer to build than he anticipated. He's been living at the pole barn as it has 3 bedrooms w/ 2 full baths a large kitchen and a sauna. He's gettin another 64 ch NVR for the house. Anywhere we need fiber or power he has a contractor that does it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DH-DB61 5mp is what we've used before on residential installs but I was curious if Dahua made a simple doorbell like the dh-db61 with direct connectivity to the nvr. We are probably gonna use the dh-db61 because we have one.
The Dahua intercom stations have a door release function not found on the doorbells that could be used to open the gate.

It looks like you're using Dahua's US line of products, be careful as they likely won't work with the 'international' products often recommended here.