House under construction - temporary camera?

Contadino

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a house that is under construction and I would like to add a camera to see what is going on. I have Cat5e run to a location under the garage eve and have a 5442 camera to place there.
The local internet provider will run their connection soon and will provide a modem + router.
I would like to set up a minimal system without a computer since there will be a lot of contractors coming and going over the next several months.
Is there any way I can just connect a Poe hub to the router and my camera to the Poe? How would I access the camera from my remote location? Do I need to be concerned about security with this arrangement? It would be temporary until I move in and get a Blue Iris computer set up.
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could do that provided you have some type of weather proof enclosure and drop an sd card in for recording, or you could use a vosko solar/cellular camera.

Contadino

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The POE hub would be indoors. The camera is rated for outdoor use. Good idea about the SD card. With a direct connection,router-hub-camera would I use DmSS? Should I set the router to block anything?

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to enable P2P in your camera and make sure it says online. It will use a Dahua P2P server to setup a connection to DMSS or SmartPSS. The video stream does not go to the server.
In DMSS or SmartPSS, add your camera using P2P (camera serial #).
I've used P2P for years on some Dahua/Amcrest cameras, and it's secure as far as I'm concerned.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used P2P for years on some Dahua/Amcrest cameras, and it's secure as far as I'm concerned.
Check this out :

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check this out :
What is it in that list that concerns you regarding the Dahua P2P server? And who has reported being harmed by it when using Dahua P2P server? Just curious...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What is it in that list that concerns you regarding the Dahua P2P server?
The sheer scale and scope of the admitted vulnerabilities means it would be unwise to consider any of their software products to be cyber secure.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is it in that list that concerns you regarding the Dahua P2P server? And who has reported being harmed by it when using Dahua P2P server? Just curious...
That list is for windows based platforms of DSS, not hardware.