HoneyWell PIR sensors, door trip sensor etc

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
At the house we are renting, the previous renter had alarm installed before he moved out. I think it ADT alarm system. This house is very old and we are most likely be the last people to rent because all the houses in the block are being torn down as folks moved out. I think they managed to get this block zoned for commercial purposes and land probably worth 100 times more than the houses on it.

Anyway I know landlord won't care if I take all the alarm system with me when we move out so I pulled off one of the PIR sensor off the wall and looked at the model number. It is a Honeywell 5800PIR-RES sensor, We have a bunch of those in the house and a main alarm box downstairs but it unplugged right now and a couple of door trip sensors on some of the doors.

I am in the middle of building my first home automation using z-wave, I am wondering is there a way to link those sensors home automation wirelessly. Or a device that link both together? I am sure it not a z-wave sensor but it would be nice to save myself a few bucks if I can uses those. There also a keypad however I am sure it firmware locked to ADT or one of the alarm company.

Is there a way to make it work?

Thank you

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wire it, heh.. some things are ok for wireless, somethings are not..

like with IPCameras, if you want 100% reliable trigger with practically no appreciable latency and never any dead batteries.. wire it.

I use Z-Wave where I cant run a wire yet, I am fond of these: http://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Z-Wave-Window-Sensor-DWZWAVE2-ECO/dp/B00HPIYJWU

they accept dry contacts, so you can take those contact switches say.. wire 2 or three up with a glass wired glass break sensor in a series going right into the dry contacts on that to say give your window full coverage without needing 3 separate z-wave devices for a big bay window.. I do this and have a 2nd set of magnets at the quarter open/vent position for summer time so they register secured if open and locked, but if they slide any more past the lock they go off..

same thing with motion sensors, you could wire 2 or more in series with a z-wave dry contact and just call it 'outside' or something.. but the motion sensors need power, likely 12v whereas dry contacts wont.

If your using motion sensors for presence detection for home automation I suggest wired, you will set them to small timeouts to go off all the damn time and that runs batteries down fast.. whereas a wireless motion sensor in a garage used for security only goes off every once and a while, or my mailbox twice a day.. batteries last a good long time.. where as if I put a wireless motion sensor in my son's room to turn off his lights when he leaves em on, the cost of batteries would eat the savings easy.

home automation isint cheap, and its hard to do cheap.. Z-Wave (wireless) is not cheap, wiring it is cheap.. see the problem.

edit: look at the pix I had in my IPCtalk gallery.. :) I am going to pour a new driveway in near future, mailbox will be hardwired then. and the driveway will get an occupancy sensor.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At the house we are renting, the previous renter had alarm installed before he moved out. I think it ADT alarm system. This house is very old and we are most likely be the last people to rent because all the houses in the block are being torn down as folks moved out. I think they managed to get this block zoned for commercial purposes and land probably worth 100 times more than the houses on it.

Anyway I know landlord won't care if I take all the alarm system with me when we move out so I pulled off one of the PIR sensor off the wall and looked at the model number. It is a Honeywell 5800PIR-RES sensor, We have a bunch of those in the house and a main alarm box downstairs but it unplugged right now and a couple of door trip sensors on some of the doors.

I am in the middle of building my first home automation using z-wave, I am wondering is there a way to link those sensors home automation wirelessly. Or a device that link both together? I am sure it not a z-wave sensor but it would be nice to save myself a few bucks if I can uses those. There also a keypad however I am sure it firmware locked to ADT or one of the alarm company.

Is there a way to make it work?

Thank you

Bill
Maybe this will help.

http://library.ademconet.com/mwt/fs2/5800pir-res/5800pir-series-data-sheet.pdf