Home Window Tinting and UV Screens

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Back in the late 1980's I had a house in NOLA that was built in the 1920's. Absolutely no insulation. It had a whole house fan installed in the attic but the motor had been pulled out. When I bought it I got a new motor and fabricated window screens. The fan blades were 5 feet in diameter. Thing was huge. At that time, the only attic access was through the fan louvers in the ceiling. The unit could swing away for access. I installed a pulldown stair in the hallway.

When that fan came on the blast of hot air at the front porch, which is where the vents were (see the photo), would drive off a solicitor no problem. It really did cool off the whole house as long as each room had a window open.

But there were drawbacks, like dust and crap coming in from outside. Also bugs, leaves and lizards getting stuck to the outside of the window screens when the fan was running. Sometimes litter from the street also. If it got cold in the winter, the cold air came down from the louvers. Also the heat just went out them.

But the worst was one time I had a bunch of papers I was working on sitting on the kitchen table, which was right under the fan louvers. I was in the living room and my daughter decided to flip on the fan. Those papers got sucked up through the louvers and sliced up quite a bit and were strewn all over the attic.

View attachment 166146
My grandmother had a huge attic fan. As kids we would stand under it and our hair would stand straight up :)

My father told us the story of his mom rejecting the idea of indoor plumbing, that is she did not want an Outhouse in her House, haha. I am sure she thought the smell from the Outhouse would be in her House, LOL Thank God for P-Traps...:)

Reaction score
I have a Dual Zone Daikin unit with 2 x 9000BTU indoor units and 1 x 18000 BTU outdoor unit. Outdoor unit build quality is excellent but the indoor unit quality is lacking, its the 17 series and I got it "Professionally" installed. Performance is fantastic though

Then I have a self installed 33 SEER Fujitsu unit which is much better quality, and was actually free because it was damaged in shipping. Would go for the Fujitsu over the Daikin, but its a higher end model so not apples to apples

I have a 4 Ton AC, but now don't really use it, as the 3 x 9000 BTU units can cool the important parts of the home very well, and with all 3 on, it cools the rest good enough
Funny, I had just discovered these the other day...never even seen one in my life, or if I did, didn't realize what they are. This might be added to my patio once I convince my wife to window in the screened in patio....thank you.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Funny, I had just discovered these the other day...never even seen one in my life, or if I did, didn't realize what they are. This might be added to my patio once I convince my wife to window in the screened in patio....thank you.
So I see the LG units a lot of places, anyone have any experience with those? I even saw one for a garage...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I noted you had double glazing. I read you have to be careful with this as window films can cause the panels to fail. Unsure how true that is. Read it on a film companies website who recommend only used on single glazed panels.