Hole size of poe camera

tane

n3wb
Reaction score
Newbie here doing research. Looking to install a couple outdoor bullet cameras. Looking at the cameras, it looks like I have to drill a 1/2 inch to 1 inch hole to fit the connectors through. Is it possible to just drill a smaller hole to just fit the Cat 5 cable through and terminate it at the camera? This way, much smaller hole ( as I have a brick exterior wall ).

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sure, as long as you are comfortable terminating the cable on a ladder.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is fine but what are you going to do with the connector? It might look waterproof but it's not.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use a junction box like the one here only without the conduit. Drill a small hole through the brick just big enough for the Cat5 and terminate everything in the junction box.

20160318_182444_zpst3fj2frp.jpg

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Junction boxes are great for this. I bought the ones made for the HK Turrets (smaller round boxes you get at Lowes were too small) it everything fits nicely up inside.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the Cat5 line comes thru the brick, it won't have the conduit that you see. It'll just be the junction box itself. This picture came thru the attic and eave so your comparing two different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Just run a bare length of burial grade cat 5 through a tiny hole and run it straight up into a junction box with a drip loop. One tiny small wire and it's waterproof. So, cam on the box, wire coming out pointed straight down, then in a bit of a J and up and then into the house under the eave. Angle the drill up so any rain that gets into the hole will drain back out instead of having a downhill run into your home. Seal the hole around the wire as well. Big waterproof conduit like hook3m used isn't really necessary although it does protect the wire from the elements (not necessary with burial grade wire) and tampering (IMHO not necessary in home installations). Why protect the wire if they can just rip off the cam, spraypaint the lens, or put on a ski mask? If the criminals know they're there in advance and determined to defeat them then they won't be much good for facial ID but they'll at least provide some evidence as to what was done.