Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That one at Nellys is the 3mp (still a good cam), I ordered the 2342 4mp on Ali 2 weeks ago but it still has not shipped. The seller has kept me updated and said being a new cam and high in demand it is a longer than normal lead time from Hikvision.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That one at Nellys is the 3mp (still a good cam), I ordered the 2342 4mp on Ali 2 weeks ago but it still has not shipped. The seller has kept me updated and said being a new cam and high in demand it is a longer than normal lead time from Hikvision.
I hope that you will be adding to this thread some pics and settings once you receive yours - thanks!

slothbal

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have been quietly following this thread. It is so informative!
And I really appreciate and thank those who contributed.

I Need help!
I am looking to purchase a 16 CH NVR which could fully support and view these 4MP resolution at its MAX!
I am also looking at 2142 & 2542 at comparison as audio function is important to me during live playback.
2142 comes with no mic which means that a add on mic is necessary.

Which delivers better audio quality? add on mic or built in mic like that of 2542?

Could any kind soul please advice a set up (NVR & CAMERA) which could satisfy my craving?

Thank you all in advance!

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone using these new 4MP cameras with Synology Surveillance Station and if so, How are they working out?

Thank you.

rebels23

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone using these new 4MP cameras with Synology Surveillance Station and if so, How are they working out?

Thank you.
I got one from Ali (finally). I currently have it hooked up to my Synology and have been doing test with it. IT is very sensitive and picks up everything from leaves rustling to bugs flying.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got one from Ali (finally). I currently have it hooked up to my Synology and have been doing test with it. IT is very sensitive and picks up everything from leaves rustling to bugs flying.
Congratulations!! Thanks for the update. What model did you get? Also are you doing motion detection from the camera or Synology? I prefer doing motion by camera. How did you set this camera up on Synology? I am guessing using ONVIF.

rebels23

n3wb
Reaction score
I got the new 4MP DS-2CD2042WD-I. I am currently using the motion detection on the camera to save my Synology from using too many CPU cycles. I currently have it setup using the old 3MP DS-2CD2032-I profile. I am hoping Synology will support this new model soon. I haven't played around too much with the settings yet. Anyone have any recommendations on settings?

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys I am thinking of buying a DS-2CD2142FWD-I(S). How have you been finding these?

2. specifically the low lux at 0.01 as compared to 0.07? I have 2132 3mp out on the drive which is very dark and fender recommended these to improve that situ?
3. Does it really have motorised pan and tilt? Bit sceptical as this location is by the sea. Anyone else have these up in salt sea zones, how long they last?
4. Any know if they are the same hole patterns as the 2132 3mp, pictures I can see on specs seem to imply yes, but as well all know buying from ali is a crap shoot?
5. SD card 128Gb looks pretty good for me until I get over my hesitation / nerviousness for an Ali NVR?
6. also confirm 3-axis ?? I made a newbie mistake with the 2132 never expecting not to be able to pan it when I mounted it. Sort of okay would have liked small change.
cheers

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got the new 4MP DS-2CD2042WD-I. I am currently using the motion detection on the camera to save my Synology from using too many CPU cycles. I currently have it setup using the old 3MP DS-2CD2032-I profile. I am hoping Synology will support this new model soon. I haven't played around too much with the settings yet. Anyone have any recommendations on settings?
Thanks for the feedback, If your using the driver for DS2CD2032-I then is it not safe to say your not getting the 4MP resolution of 20fps (2688×1520)? Also for anyone wanting Synology to add support for there cameras please click this link and fill out the form: https://www.synology.com/en-global/form/camera The more of us that use this form the better chance we have in getting Synology to support our cameras in the shortage amount of time.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys I am thinking of buying a DS-2CD2142FWD-I(S). How have you been finding these?

2. specifically the low lux at 0.01 as compared to 0.07? I have 2132 3mp out on the drive which is very dark and fender recommended these to improve that situ?
3. Does it really have motorised pan and tilt? Bit sceptical as this location is by the sea. Anyone else have these up in salt sea zones, how long they last?
4. Any know if they are the same hole patterns as the 2132 3mp, pictures I can see on specs seem to imply yes, but as well all know buying from ali is a crap shoot?
5. SD card 128Gb looks pretty good for me until I get over my hesitation / nerviousness for an Ali NVR?
6. also confirm 3-axis ?? I made a newbie mistake with the 2132 never expecting not to be able to pan it when I mounted it. Sort of okay would have liked small change.
cheers
I just looked at the specs for the DS-2CD2142FWD-I(S) and it does not indicate it has (PTZ) so as fair as I can tell it is not "motorized" if you want that then look at the-
DS-2CD2F42FWD-I(W)(S) it has (PT) http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_512_i5612.html This camera does not look like its IP66 rated so indoor use only.

As far as the hole pattern I have read someplace on here that it is the same but cant remember where. Also as far as the support for 128GB SD card the new v5.3.x firmware adds that support to all cameras. And yes this camera is 3-axis

As for purchasing from AliExpress yes your right, Its a crap shoot weather or not your going to get a US version of the camera that your able to do firmware updates on without jumping threw hoops. For me at this point I don't want the headache so I am going to stick with purchasing from a US seller.

Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:

rebels23

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, If your using the driver for DS2CD2032-I then is it not safe to say your not getting the 4MP resolution of 20fps (2688×1520)? Also for anyone wanting Synology to add support for there cameras please click this link and fill out the form: https://www.synology.com/en-global/form/camera The more of us that use this form the better chance we have in getting Synology to support our cameras in the shortage amount of time.
Thanks Mr. Fixit. I clicked on that link for Synology to support before I even ordered. :cool:

I tried using the 4MP resolution of 20fps (2688x1520) but had problems with it (I think I got a green screen). I just chalked it up to using the 3MP profile. I did try ONVIF and PSIA earlier on which never worked, but that was because I had a port issue with initial setup. Never went back and tried the ONVIF and PSIA setting again.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the turret - and my thoughts here are that if I went with the 2.8mm lens, that even though I have a very wide field of view, I should be able to see a pretty good distance with usable resolution...

Is my understanding of the optics / resolution equation accurate?

Also - the Dahua 4MP... Half the price almost? Although doesn't seem to quite be readily available... I can't even find them on their website?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The most important factor in picture clarity is the pixels per meter factor. The higher this factor the more clear the picture is. It is exactly the same as the printers resolution. A printer with 1200 dpi (dots per inch) prints finer than a printer with 300 dpi resolution (and usually higher resolution printers are more expensive).
The same works with cameras and lenses. The height of an ordinary person looks smaller when viewed with a wider angle lens (say 2.8mm) rather than a 4mm lens. That means that the number of pixels of a given object viewed through a 2.8mm lens are fewer than when looked through a 4mm lens. Thefore the object resolution of an image (the dots or pixels per meter) is less in a wider angle lens compared with a long lens. Ideally you should aim to have at least 150 pixels per meter object resolution if you require to recognize facial characteristics.

Do not confuse the lens optical resolution (which is never mentioned in securiy cameras because it is very low unless the camera is very expensive), with the sensor resolution (when we say 3Mpixels means 2048x1500 pixels roughly) and the image or object resolution which is measured in dots or pixels per inch or meter.

Check this URL for further unferstanding and examples http://www.scantips.com/lights/fieldofview.html

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks JackBauer for the question and aster1x for the answer. I've been curious too. I'm wanting to replace 1.3MP Foscams (4mm lens) with 4MP Hikvision or Dahua. If I went with a 2.8mm lens at 4mp I should have as good, maybe better clarity as the 1.3MP with 4mm? The middle of my street is about 50 feet from the camera, the sidewalk about 33 feet. I'm not really expecting license plate recognition but face recognition would be nice. I'm assuming the field of view is close to the same on different cameras with lens of same size?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also - the Dahua 4MP... Half the price almost? Although doesn't seem to quite be readily available... I can't even find them on their website?
The aliexpress seller cctv camera china shipped my dad's cam (Dahua 4MP dome without audio) and according to tracking it arrived at his place today. I may be able to take snapshots tomorrow. My cam, the version with audio, has not shipped yet.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The aliexpress seller cctv camera china shipped my dad's cam (Dahua 4MP dome without audio) and according to tracking it arrived at his place today. I may be able to take snapshots tomorrow. My cam, the version with audio, has not shipped yet.
One of the Ali sellers shows a turret in the picture but then calls it a dome... Not sure which will actually show up.

ruddj

n3wb
Reaction score
I received my Dahua 4MP dome (IPC-HDW4421C 3.6mm lens) yesterday. So far have not installed it, just have it on desk and played around with settings.
Be aware it is a modified firmware, so while the options are in English, the help file is all in Chinese. All documentation in box was in Chinese as well.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ruddj, what firmware is it running and what is listed on it's label?
Oops, this is a Dahua...