Hikvision vs. LTS firmware

Reaction score
I currently have the Hikvision 2042WD-I 4mp bullet camera and the 2142FWD-I 4MP dome camera. The Hikvision firmware that's currently on the units (5.3.3) is horrible when it comes to Wide Dynamic Range. I read in another thread a while back that LTS had firmware that fixed the WDR. Does anyone know if LTS has firmware compatible with these cameras to fix the WDR issue?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to go to the LTS download site, find your camera model by LTS model number and download software and save to desktop. Then log into camera chose configuration and download software straight to cam.

Reaction score
I did that and downloaded the firmware for the CMIP8242W which appears to be the same as the 2042WD-I. When I attempt to update the firmware it says "The type of upgrade file mismatches".

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How much customization does LTS do? Sounds like they do more than drop in their logo?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Milkisbad would be a le to answer that question better, but I know the use their own software in the cams.

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello smiticans,

To answer your question, the only real substantive differences between HIK and LTS firmware is the H.264+ feature is not included for LTS and LTS defaults some of the picture settings (such as brightness, contrast, sharpness, ect) to different (non-50) values.

From a hardware prospective the following is true:

DS-2CD2142FWD-I(W)(S) = CMIP7442W-28M
DS-2CD2042WD-I = CMIP8242W

So the LTS "IPC4" firmware should have worked on the DS-2CD2042WD-I. I had not realized LTS had come out with a v5.3.6 version yet so after I saw your message I tried loading on some of the Hikvision hardware equivalents. Sure enough, it looks like LTS has built some protection in to their v5.3.6 to prevent it from loading on non-LTS hardware. I hope they didn't do this based on my WDR post and findings last year!

In any event, I have been pretty happy now with Hikvision's v5.3.6 build 151105 firmware and WDR performance. I agree with you that WDR in v5.3.3 was totally unacceptable. So my recommendation would be to go with Hikvision's v5.3.6 on Hikvision WDR 2-series cameras.

Hope this helps and let us know if WDR works for you in the Hikvision firmware.

Reaction score
Hello smiticans,

To answer your question, the only real substantive differences between HIK and LTS firmware is the H.264+ feature is not included for LTS and LTS defaults some of the picture settings (such as brightness, contrast, sharpness, ect) to different (non-50) values.

So the LTS "IPC4" firmware should have worked on the DS-2CD2042WD-I. I had not realized LTS had come out with a v5.3.6 version yet so after I saw your message I tried loading on some of the Hikvision hardware equivalents. Sure enough, it looks like LTS has built some protection in to their v5.3.6 to prevent it from loading on non-LTS hardware. I hope they didn't do this based on my WDR post and findings last year!

In any event, I have been pretty happy now with Hikvision's v5.3.6 build 151105 firmware and WDR performance. I agree with you that WDR in v5.3.3 was totally unacceptable. So my recommendation would be to go with Hikvision's v5.3.6 on Hikvision WDR 2-series cameras.

Thank you for your reply,

I'll have to call Nelly's tomorrow, but last time I checked with them v5.3.3 was the latest version they had. You don't happen to have a link to version 5.3.6 do you?

Reaction score
Hello smiticans,

I updated the firmware on the two dome cameras last night. The WDR is working good during the day, however, the night vision performance has dropped. I was wondering what settings you had under "image adjustment" and what settings you had WDR on?

BBQ Ribs

n3wb
Reaction score
Firmware issue?

I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P 8 (Firmware V3.09) which I am trying to connect a CMIP3142W-28S (mini dome).
The NVR sees the camera and assigns it a IP address, everything looks fine
However the status at warning triangle, stream type is not supported.

I have 2 other LTS camera's (CMIP7432-M dome) which work great.

The firmware on the CMIP7432-M's is at V5.2.0
The firmware on the CMIP3142W-28S is at V5.3.2

I check LTS website and they do have an updated firmware 5.3.6, should I try to upgrade or downgrade the firmware
Would this even be a firmware issue?
Thank you

UPDATE: I upgraded the nvr from 3.09 to 3.0.15, now camera connects as expected

Last edited by a moderator: