Hikvision setup

bhubb

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello - I am new to the forum and to cams..

I am looking at an NVR system with 4-5 cameras. I live in a large 2 store house where the modem and router are on the first floor.

The (2) cameras in the front will be upstairs under eaves so looking for something that has a good distant picture from high up (approx. 20' up) and still get clear pictures.

also my question is...I am going to use a POE switch but does switch HAVE to be wired to the router? Is it possible to get a 2nd router installed near the POE switch?

There is just no way to run the wire to the existing modem/router . what are some other alternatives to this situation?

I have been reading for a week so all this information is new to me.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
well, yes, your camera need to connect to your LAN/router somehow. your PoE swicth can be anywhere that's convenient for connecting to your cams,
but must also be connected to your router somehow. and wireless doesn't count (unreliable). you might be able to use PLA's (powerline adapters)
to connect your swicth to your router over the AC/mains lines, but a direct ethernet wire from router to switch would be best.

you'll want to avoid wide-angle lens (eg no 2.8mm or ~80 degree fieldd of view). 4mm at least (~60' fov), or maybe 6mm (~40' fov).
i'd say get one of each and see what works better for you before expanding. Purchase from someone who'll take it back if needed so you
can trade back the one you don't prefer...

bhubb

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I am trying to layout the line paths but it is proving rather difficult. If needed i am thinking sheetrock holes will have to be done