HikVision Replacement Recommendations

bahusafoo

n3wb
Reaction score
What is everyone's preferred brand? Looking for a brand that has a good track record about releasing security firmware updates for their devices. I have a client with several HikVision Cameras with known vulnerabilities - having a hard time finding updated firmware for one of the models they have alot of. With the US government ban on HikVision anyway, looking for recommendations for Non-HikVision (or any rebranded HikVision) replacements for the following models:
  1. HES303-MB (could be the same as DS-2CD2032F-I, which is what comes up via an Amazon search when I search for HES303-MB)
  2. DS-2CD2020-I
They are using Milestone XProtect Professional 2017 to manage/monitor/record from them (I'm going to dig into whether or not they have active support with this vendor and if an update is available here as well).

I was thinking they could replace both with the TrendNet model TV-IP1313PI, but not sure if there are caveats here.

Thank you in advance for thoughts/knowledge!

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait... you mean there is actually a cam that doesn't have security vulnerabilities if exposed to the internet???

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are going to find that most camera manufacturers don't provide updates for very long, and it is usually a year after some vulnerability was found, if ever.

They do not offer cloud-based, monthly subscription service, so there isn't really an incentive for them to continue providing updates after the sale.

It is why we say isolate the cameras from the internet and rest of the system.

Axis may be more frequent and longer than others. They claim they will provide support for 5 years after the model year. But they are probably not immediate fixes when a vulnerability is found.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cant have both ways, security and camera on internet. You could make harder for a attackers but eventually another flaw will be found. And it takes time to patch it. I suppose afterall it all end at waging if you really are protecting something or just wanna have a camera for confirmations.