Hikvision quality vs. Blue Iris quality

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the quality of the video image that Blue Iris displays compared to Hikvisions display quality is not very good. Maybe it's just me, but when I display the cameras in BI, it's just not there. it not sharp and looks grainier and now I am getting a pulse that seems to be connected to the iframe settings. It can be frustrating trying to keep things stable with the software, but the quality of the display is some what disappointing.
I had to make some adjusting in the camera settings on a couple cameras and when I displayed the live view in hikvision software, it made the BI display appear low quality. It was definitely not as crisp and contrast. The pulse I am getting through the software of BI on display is not good either. I have been chasing this around some and to make it some what better I have to drop settings in things I don't want to change.
I like the layout display and the functionality of BI, but I am becoming unimpressed with the quality it has.
Anyone else with this issue or this darn pulsing of the image. It really shows up at night with non IR and using the available light I have. Would quality be better if the cameras were set to go auto IR. I am just curious because of the possible filtering change that the camera may do when it switches to night mode and using B&W. i thought I read somewhere that IR should not ever be turned off because when it switches mode, it makes a change within the camera to detect more detail. Any ideas or tips that I should perhaps do to improve things. I fiddled with settings many times, but it hardly makes improvement.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you recording direct to disc?
Yes I am. The pulsing seems to of just started and if I make changes to the iframe numbers, it will react to it identically. If I set it to 200, the pulses come much slower. If I set them to 5, they rapidly pulse the video.

I just changed cable to HDMI and it just isn't all that greater. I am pretty impressed with the hikvision display on a browser window. Just seems very stable and crisper to view. Wish they had motion sensor and 5 cam video displays up at once too.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Blue Iris setup was a bit of a work in progress for some time but once I dialed it in, I can't live without it and can easily replicate it's quality and stability (after some experience with it at home I just recently replaced a very unfriendly hik NVR with Blue Iris in another location and it's been rock solid). Check mobile app reviews and compare BI to iVMS to get just some idea of why I wanted BI instead of the Hik NVR.. Ughh.

My hiks through BI look awesome unless I'm looking at them from the various browser viewers, but when I full screen a cam in the browser it looks great.

I'd look around the forum for what fenderman and others recommend for IFrame values and try that. I think you want it to match your FPS but go ahead and search just in case. You'll probably find other recommended settings - more to play with. I also upped the Receive buffer (cam properties > video > configure > Network options.. I set mine really high, but I've seen 10MB recommended a lot.

Best thing I ever did for stability was I made sure I had a PC with a processor that could handle the number of IP cams I have running at full quality, continuously recording + motion detection.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My Blue Iris setup was a bit of a work in progress for some time but once I dialed it in, I can't live without it and can easily replicate it's quality and stability (after some experience with it at home I just recently replaced a very unfriendly hik NVR with Blue Iris in another location and it's been rock solid). Check mobile app reviews and compare BI to iVMS to get just some idea of why I wanted BI instead of the Hik NVR.. Ughh.

My hiks through BI look awesome unless I'm looking at them from the various browser viewers, but when I full screen a cam in the browser it looks great.

I'd look around the forum for what fenderman and others recommend for IFrame values and try that. I think you want it to match your FPS but go ahead and search just in case. You'll probably find other recommended settings - more to play with. I also upped the Receive buffer (cam properties > video > configure > Network options.. I set mine really high, but I've seen 10MB recommended a lot.

Best thing I ever did for stability was I made sure I had a PC with a processor that could handle the number of IP cams I have running at full quality, continuously recording + motion detection.

SYSTEM:
5 Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I 4 are Gray China / 1 is USA
Cat 6 match cables
WS-POE-8-48v60w Injector / TP-Link 8 Switch
Xfinity Duel Band Wi-Fi Capable 802.11ac DOC3 Cable Modem
Windows 10 - 64bit System / Blue Iris / (dedicated)
AMD 4100 quad 4 O/C 4.7MHz / 32 M Ram
Video - ATI Radeon
HDMI cable

I also use iframe levels equal to my frame rates and this is at 20 right now for both settings. Running 5 cams on 1920 x1080 and BI never goes inti red and writing DTD. I also run 24/7 as well.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't looked it up but how old is that processor out of curiosity? How does it compare with a modern i7 from Intel?

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The processor is a few years old, but it is a good video running CPU with AMD Radeon R7 200. It is running Blue Iris with 5 2132 Hik cams 1920x1080 20fps live and only using 54% CPU & RAM isn't even close to being used. The system is dedicated with all the bandwidth it could ever want. 5408115231.png
I maintain system with latest drivers and cycle out the clips daily.

Here is the CPU info http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996 and as you can see it also shows a 5 star rating from 893+ customers. I have it O/C to 4.7 GHz

If you look at my profile avatar file to the left here, the pulsing is mostly noticed on the 2 lower (larger) camera views. Also it is only noticed during the night time when in B&W mode viewing

Last edited by a moderator:

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still seems like something is weird w/ the IFrame in some way.

If it were me, I would reset those cameras to default then delete them in Blue Iris, start fresh with settings based on common recommendations around here.

If you ever build a new system, go for a recent i5 or i7 if your budget allows for it. Integrated graphics, no need for a graphics card either.