Hikvision Poe problems

Reaction score
hi guys

I have a Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1/4P NvR with 2 x DS-2CD2042WD 4mp cameras. I've set everything up and it all works ok on 5m cat5e network cables but when I go any longer the cameras will not detect!!

I 1st set things up just using a 1m patch cable to make sure everything worked, no problems. Then I run the cables (solid copper) to the camera position & installed the cameras, but nothing would connect up!! I went back to the shorter cables and it worked. I've now narrowed the length to 5m after reducing the length a meter at a time.

I need approx 30m cable run length.

7 meters nothing
6 meters intermittent
5 meters works ok

On the POE information screen under camera management it only shows that the camera is using 2.3 - 3.0w in day light is this enough to power a camera over 30m+?

I've tested cables with both Poe & network testers and everything ok

Poe on midspan 4578

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Martin

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
it all works ok on 5m cat5e network cables but when I go any longer the cameras will not detect!!
I've tested cables with both Poe & network testers and everything ok
You may well be just testing connectivity as opposed to whether the cable is wired correctly for the ethernet signalling.
It does sound like the cables are not wired corectly - did you terminate them yourself?
What wiring scheme did you use?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
despite what many noobies think the order/colors of the wires do matter and are required to reduce crosstalk use T568-B

what gauge wiring is your ethernet cables? your not using that flat cable shit are you?

Reaction score
Thanks guys

So what your saying is wiring it wrong works on sort lengths but not over 5m?

Will double check my wiring tomorrow and let you know the outcome

Thanks
Martin

Reaction score
despite what many noobies think the order/colors of the wires do matter and are required to reduce crosstalk use T568-B

what gauge wiring is your ethernet cables? your not using that flat cable shit are you?

I'm using good quality external cat5e cable with a extra outer shied.

Wired as per your illustration now works over 30m

Once again thanks for the help

All the best for the New Year