Hikvision playback timeline

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an LTS (Hikvision) NVR. When I had it set to record only on motion events, the timeline showed red segments to indicate recorded events. I switched it over to continuous recording, assuming the motion triggers would still show up on the timeline. Wrong! I just get a continuous blue bar with no indication of the motion events. Is this really the way it has to be? Is there some option to get the motion events shown on the timeline with continuous recording? This behavior is on the web interface and the PC client. I don't use the direct connect monitor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an LTS (Hikvision) NVR. When I had it set to record only on motion events, the timeline showed red segments to indicate recorded events. I switched it over to continuous recording, assuming the motion triggers would still show up on the timeline. Wrong! I just get a continuous blue bar with no indication of the motion events. Is this really the way it has to be? Is there some option to get the motion events shown on the timeline with continuous recording? This behavior is on the web interface and the PC client. I don't use the direct connect monitor.
This is common...some newer firmware versions apparently support the function you are looking for...alastairstevenson can likely shed some insight.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, on the newer Hikvision NVR firmware, event (motion) markings can be shown on the web GUI continuous playback timeline.
This thread has a couple of sample screenshots : Dahua vs HikVision
And this thread here Updated NVR firmware published - NVR_78_79_EXX_V3.4.80_160718.zip
The VGA/HDMI interface had this capability before the 3.4.80 firmware version, though I can't be sure where it started, I run the NVR headless.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I find the LTS firmware numbering confusing. The firmware on the LTS web site is the same version as what's in my NVR, but a newer build number. (NVR has V3.3.6 build 160105, web site has V3.3.6 build 160810). Is it worth reloading for a newer build of the same version? Do the LTS version numbers track the Hikvision numbers? If they do, then the above referenced Hikvision 3.4.80 isn't available from LTS for my 8916 NVR.

Added on edit:
The good news: I upgraded to the latest firmware build. Initiating it via the web interface was easy and worked flawlessly. There is nothing at all in the manual about upgrading firmware via the web interface.

The bad news: Nothing about the timeline presentation changed. Showing events on the continuous record timeline is something I would expect to be a very basic requirement for even a low-end security recorder. And with the 3 interfaces, it all works differently:

Head interface: All events are accessible on a list. They are not shown on the timeline if using continuous record.
Web interface: Events are not accessible at all if using continuous record.
PC interface: Some events are accessible on a list. No obvious pattern as to which are and which aren't. Not shown on timeline if continuous record.

I'm pretty disappointed with this "Platinum Enterprise Level" NVR right now. If I find out it's user error I'll correct my outburst.

Last edited: