Hikvision Outdoor Home Network PTZ Camera Option Help.

Reaction score
Hello I'm wanting to get 4 outdoor rated Hikvision PTZ camera's, but I'm having a hard time picking them out. I'm looking for a 360 view tracking mounting them on 4 corners of the house and it will take care of the whole property. I do have motion lights for more lighting and a outdoor light on a pole out front, the back is dark though. I was looking at this product from Hikvision. What would you consider if I bought 4 of these? I need some advise I'd appreciate all the help thank you.

I need night vision, I want a spot light on the camera, also want a alarm too.

Hikvision DS-2DE4A425IWG-E 4MP Outdoor PTZ Network Dome Camera with Night Vision

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you going to use fixed spotter cams to trigger the tracking capability on the PTZ's? I have one of those cameras mounted in my carport. It sits and looks straight down my farm lane and doesn't move until something crosses a trip wire. It illuminates well at night with IR. The dome can be a PIA, as it collects dirt and birds have a habit of crapping on the dome as they fly by...(i have no idea exactly how they are doing that) I wouldn't program a constant tour for the pan function. You will just end up wearing the stepper motor out.
I would recommend installing lower MP spotter cams in addition to the PTZ's that are fixed and will trigger the PTZ to move to view the tripped wire position to start the auto tracking. I know that will require buying and installing more cams, but the system will be much more efficient and hey, once you buy and install one cam, you will find out it is more addictive than Hunter Biden's Cocaine habits....you can never have too many cams.......:lol:

Reaction score
I'm just going to use PTZ Camera's I thought about getting 4 Lorex Camera's
LNZ44P12B I seen they had good reviews. I just want 4 good 360 view on all four corners of my house with good quality and zoom that will do what I want it to do.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
And they will be inevitably looking in the wrong direction when you need them the most. Auto tracking only works if it sees something to track so you're dependent on it looking at the right spot at the right time to even have a chance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above.

A PTZ on each corner will have gaps in coverage and will be looking left when the perp is to the right. You need a few cheap spotter cams to point them looking where the motion is.

That is an expensive cam for what it is. You would be better off with this one that is a fan favorite. But do not buy anywhere else and do not UPDATE the firmware or it will lose autoupdating.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
What should I buy then 1 of them and regular camera's pointing in the direction I need them to be

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on the layout of your house, let's assume a perfect square, you could get 2 PTZs, one on opposite corners, and then get some cheap overview cameras (wide angle) and then use a VMS like an NVR or Blue Iris to then use the fixed camera to tell the PTZ where to point.

At one point in my setup, I had one camera and cloned it 8 times in BI and then set up different zones across the field of view to direct the PTZ where to look.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And then you will find that one of the biggest complaints about any tracking PTZ (regardless of manufacturer) is that if an object stops, so does the tracking. You cannot change this timing.

You can usually get it to not loose tracking so quickly if you change the target ratio a bit or turn PFA off, and I think this thing learns LOL. If the target ratio is too large, it will miss faster moving objects and lose tracking faster when an object stops.

My 49225 when I first got it would immediately lose track if someone stopped. Now it will hold at least 10 seconds if someone stops.

I do think they learn though as my Dahua PTZ seems to linger on for 10 seconds or so. Part of that can be by not having it zoom in so tight that you don't give it much to work with. Mine zooms in tight enough that I can see the whole body, so when they stop for their dog doing its business, there is usually a tapping foot or something that keeps it tracking.

Once the tracking stops it will either return to the preset it started at or with a VMS system you could tell it to go somewhere else. It is why many of us use spotter cams to help get it looking the right way if an object stops and starts again.

With Autotrack PTZs once the motion stops, there is nothing for it to "track" and then it is sitting at a field of view with no Smart IVS rules telling it what to do, so it reverts back.

That is why a robust system is set up with spotter cams and multiple presets so that it can start to pick it up again.

Here is a great thread by @bigredfish that shows how spotter cams can be used to get the object, whether the camera lost track of them or they stopped and it lost track.

I use spotter cams as well and it helps tremendously.