Hikvision OSD overlay text positioning

Jurko

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to buy either DS-2DE5425IW-AE or DS-2DE4225IW-DE cam. But regardless of the model, something has been bothering me.

I've read somewhere(can't find the source anymore) that the overlay text on Hikvision cameras can not be positoned at the very bottom of the image. Like... that it can not be place lower than 50 pixels at the bottom.... Is that true?

I would love to place the date/time clock display at the bottom left and then right next to it, in the same row a custom text overlay that I would update with my program/script to dispay the weather data....

I would like that this whole row, containing the date, time and weather data is at the very bottom of the image... just maybe few pixels separated from the very bottom edge, so almost touching it...

Can some good soul here that owns a similar Hikvision cam confirm that it is possible to freely position the overlay at the bottom portion of the image?

Thank you guys!

Art K

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of 2CD2085FWD and some older ones, and indeed, I can't move the OSD all the way to the bottom of the screen.

If the time on the cameras and the time on whatever computer you're doing the overlay on is synced, why not just overlay your own time? NTP is a wonderful thing ;)

Jurko

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of 2CD2085FWD and some older ones, and indeed, I can't move the OSD all the way to the bottom of the screen.

If the time on the cameras and the time on whatever computer you're doing the overlay on is synced, why not just overlay your own time? NTP is a wonderful thing ;)
I could overlay it using FFMPEG or OBS on my side, I guess... but that would require re-encoding the video. which in turn will consume much more CPU than just forwarding the stream from the camera to YouTube without processing...That's why I was thinking about using the built-in OSD overlay functionality...

Now I wonder how low can it be placed... I must admit it seems a bit rediculous why the bottom area is "off limits" so to say... I thought I found an otherwise perfect cam, now this little detail makes me unsure about the purchase :( I wonder if there are any live hikvision demo cams anywhere on the net where I could do some testing...