Hikvision NVRs Questions

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have some questions about Hikvision NVRs in general and some specific models in particular. For those who own or are familiar with what NVR specs actually mean, can you please shed some light on the following (apologies in advance if this has been asked before or some of this seems stupid):

1. Hikvision NVRs are listed (for example) as: 8-channel 2MP NVR or 8-channel 5MP NVR. In the specs however, they put under "Decoding": 8-ch@720P, 6-ch@1080P for the DS-7608N-E2/8P and 4-ch@720P, 2-ch@1080P for the DS-7108N-SN/P. To me this makes absolutely no sense and conflicts with what they call the product. Based on the NVR name alone I would of thought for 4 cameras @1080p the DS-7104N-SN/P would have been a suitable solution. Are there any reasonable conditions (framerate/bitrate) under which the DS-7108N-SN/P can actually record 8-channel @2MP? So, if I want to record 4 cameras @1080p 10/15fps would the 8-channel DS-7108N-SN/P not be suitable at all?
  2. And if it isn't, would the best solution be the 16-channel DS-7116N-SN/P or the 8-channel DS-7608N-E2/8P?
  3. The incoming bandwidth doesn't seem to change between the POE and non-POE versions of the same NVR even though the non-POE versions have gigabit ethernet. The DS-7608N-E2/8P DS-7608N-E2 for example both have 50Mbps. Is that actual network bandwidth available, or processing/recording bandwidth?
  4. Does the virtual host feature exist in newer firmwares for the DS-71XX series? And if it doesn't, how well does manual iprouting through Linux in the NVR work? Can the cameras be accessed directly without connecting to the POE port?
  5. Is it possible to manually power cycle cameras connected to the NVR's POE ports? Or do they at least get power cycled when the NVR reboots?
  6. Can the NVR access/record cameras connected to the separate ethernet port (through a switch) that may have a different IP range?

THANK YOU!! :D

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If any of the questions have been answered previously please point me to the appropriate thread, I couldn't find clear answers searching through the forum.

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll sum up my questions into a single one so that hopefully I can get an answer to what ultimately matters to me: if I want to continuously record 8 cameras at the same time @1080p 15fps, are the DS-7108N-SN/P or DS-7608N-E2/8P suitable NVRs?

magga

n3wb
Reaction score
It's all down to the bitrate really. The 7608 will do 80Mbps incoming, and 80Mbps outgoing. I think you will struggle with 8 cams @ 1080p, you'd prob need a 16 channel.