Hikvision NVR Selection Help

onefour

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have a Hikvision dome camera and a Foscam running through Blue Iris, but I'm looking to expand it to use a few more Hikvision cameras (replacing the Foscam) so maybe 4 total. I could do this by just adding them into the existing setup but I think a Hikvision NVR might be a better option and allow me to use the PC and Windows install for something else.

So, I've been looking at specs and so on but I'm now more confused than when I started :confused3: :confused: I think I'd be best going for an 8 channel unit (for future expansion and additional bandwidth overhead) and POE so I don't need to mess about with a separate POE switch - it shouldn't be a problem to terminate all the camera connections in one place. I'll also need to be able to view the cameras remotely via a web browser for example as the NVR will be tucked away in a cupboard. This is one point of confusion as I'm not sure if this is something all Hikvision NVR's do?

I'm not massively bothered about alarms and two way audio, but would need a remote app so keep an eye on things whilst I'm away, there seems to be a few options for this on the app store, I guess you get the one that suits the NVR you're running?

Can anyone point me at something that will tick these boxes?

Thanks! :)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Adds more compatibility, upgradable firmware (which isn't a big deal on cameras but bigger deal on NVR), nice colour box.

Removes potential stress and a few more dollars.

Caveat: I have a N :) but I like to tinker and the price difference was bigger back when I got it.