Hikvision NVR DS-7108N-SN/P with Thirdparty POE Camera's

imaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased the mentioned NVR from Ebay and it seems like it is well supported. I have a couple issues with the following though and wondering if anyone else has encountered similar. NVR Firmware was shipped with V3.0.13 build 150503, encoding V5.0 build 150413.

1) 3TB Seagate drive, Initialization/format only reaches about 55% then fails. However you can write to the drive.
2) "MiSecu Sony IMX222 1080P POE" from Aliexpress - This seems to work very well on its own, using its own webui.

After fiddling around, I have set the Camera's to the address range of 192.168.254.x and now the the NVR can pick up the camera's with the plug and play "Adding Method" of the NVR's webui. NVR detects the camera's as OVIF with port 8899(strange as the management port should be 8000) - So long as it works.

I don't have any Hikvision camera's to test, but with these thirdparty camera's above - Most functions in the NVR Camera setting seems to error with "The camera does not support the function". If the Camera's were of Hikvision make, would all these options be available??

I can get away with the features by configuration each of the camera's settings manually one at a time on each of the camera's webui - though cumbersome. Other than that, the picture quality seems to be superb. Only purchased 3 of these camera's and was intending to purchase more to complete the set, but might go Hikvision instead if it is well supported.

PS. What is the use of Mainstream and Substreams? Is ALL recording done on Mainstream? and Live view off Substream settings?

Thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
strange as the management port should be 8000
That's a Hikvision-specific default value, for their command and control / media channel.
NVR detects the camera's as OVIF with port 8899
The 'ONVIF port', the port on which the ONVIF dialogue is conducted, varies quite a bit with different firmware implementations. Foscam are 888, Amovision/IPCC 1018. Hikvision is a bit unusual in my experience in having it the same as the HTTP, 80.
"The camera does not support the function". If the Camera's were of Hikvision make, would all these options be available??
Yes, mostly these would be available when the NVR talks native Hikvision protocol to Hikvision cameras. Exceptions would be if the camera doesn't support the specific feature, such as 'people counting' for example.

Only purchased 3 of these camera's and was intending to purchase more to complete the set, but might go Hikvision instead if it is well supported.
It's impressive how cheap modern high technology has become.
The camera specs don't mention low-light sensitivity, it would be interesting to hear what they are like at night.
but might go Hikvision instead if it is well supported.
They are well supported by the NVR.
I predict that if you buy one to compare the features and image quality, you will very quickly appreciate the much broader and more capable analytics for generating events, once you find that the 'classic motion detection' isn't as useful as you thought it would be, when past the novelty stage and getting fed up with false alerts!

imaz

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a Hikvision-specific default value, for their command and control / media channel.

The 'ONVIF port', the port on which the ONVIF dialogue is conducted, varies quite a bit with different firmware implementations. Foscam are 888, Amovision/IPCC 1018. Hikvision is a bit unusual in my experience in having it the same as the HTTP, 80.

Yes, mostly these would be available when the NVR talks native Hikvision protocol to Hikvision cameras. Exceptions would be if the camera doesn't support the specific feature, such as 'people counting' for example.

It's impressive how cheap modern high technology has become.
The camera specs don't mention low-light sensitivity, it would be interesting to hear what they are like at night.

They are well supported by the NVR.
I predict that if you buy one to compare the features and image quality, you will very quickly appreciate the much broader and more capable analytics for generating events, once you find that the 'classic motion detection' isn't as useful as you thought it would be, when past the novelty stage and getting fed up with false alerts!
Thanks for the reply.

I have managed to attach a monitor to the NVR and initialised the 3tb that way, and completed successfully.

Just reading another thread here and it would seem to configure each cameras own webui would be most beneficial as ONVIF has limitations depending on NVR. Ie use the cameras own time/date and labels. Use the NVR for the recording function only. The NVR allows motion recording by selected areas with these cameras - seems to work though I'm not interested.

I'm not concerned about motion detection as I prefer full time recordings.

I'm not sure how you measure night vision quality but I have attached an image.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446554980.460628.jpg

Day light is brilliant.

Other than that, these cameras seem to work well and robust. Still up in the air over the hikvision cameras and these. Glad I got the hikvision NVR since the app is well supported.

Settings of the cameras. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446566778.871978.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446566793.577855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

imaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Had the time to install the cameras today as well as run cat6e to all 8 destinations for future cameras.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446771193.617436.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446771213.158799.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446771229.663067.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446771243.218123.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446771255.576525.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking good.
Can you do a night-time image off the NVR?
The IR is looking like a tight beam, much brighter at the centre.

imaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking good.
Can you do a night-time image off the NVR?
The IR is looking like a tight beam, much brighter at the centre.
Yes the IR is harsh at the Center. Is this normal?

I can't seem to find any settings to adjust the intensity of the IR within the camera webui.

The image is better with colour instead of B/W, at least you can get colour information of the subject.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446816996.034136.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446817005.721844.jpg

Do the hikvision 3132 IR perform any better for night shots?

Imaz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know what could be causing these random skips in the recording of each of the cameras? I cant seem to point any pattern and they are very random across the camera's.

skip.jpg

imaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know what could be causing these random skips in the recording of each of the cameras? I cant seem to point any pattern and they are very random across the camera's.

View attachment 6265
I have managed to prevent the skips and its smooth now on all channels. What solved it was the video quality settings, changed from "medium" to "low". That cured the odd pixelated in the recordings too.

Other than the night vision, these cameras seem to do well. Contemplating on getting another 5. I did try a friends hikvision 3132 dome(had lesser IR LED), and it was a better performer on its night vision, where the IR beam was less obvious and more subtle. Image was less grainy too under b/w. Day time was much of muchness.

Current recording settings are 1080p, 15fps, VBR bitrate, Video quality(compression) low.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk