Hikvision - Noise/Quality Problem - $50 Reward!

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera is still assigned an ip address with that setup and is encoded same as if it was allocated an ip address via the NVR.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera is still assigned an ip address with that setup and is encoded same as if it was allocated an ip address via the NVR.
Something is not right...the signal is digital and should not be affected by power...unless the power is affecting the sensor some how...i have never seen something like that...

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably why it was so hard to figure out. But it is clear that the power source was the only common factor in all the testing and isolating. Not sure how to fix it though. Im thinking maybe call an electrician to see if there is a problem in the house electrical wiring.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably why it was so hard to figure out. But it is clear that the power source was the only common factor in all the testing and isolating. Not sure how to fix it though. Im thinking maybe call an electrician to see if there is a problem in the house electrical wiring.
What kind of cable are you using..specifically the exact brand and model? how long is the run?
In your test was the POE injector plugged into the same outlet as the 12v power supply?

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cable ran in the house is cat5 but not sure of the brand or model as it was installed by a cabling company. I have tried very short runs of cable i have and long 15 feet runs with the same results (10 different wires tested). The POE and 12v power supply where on the same source, same outlet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cable ran in the house is cat5 but not sure of the brand or model as it was installed by a cabling company. I have tried very short runs of cable i have and long 15 feet runs with the same results (10 different wires tested). The POE and 12v power supply where on the same source, same outlet.
Well if they are on the same outlet then its not a dirty power problem..unless there is something wrong with your injector. What model is it?

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your missing the point. Power wires inside the cat5 have no shielding and are literally on top of the data wires within the ethernet skin. Having external power outside of the cat5 using the 12v power supply gives separation between the power cable and the cat5 which provides shielding from the interference resulting in the pixels disappearing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your missing the point. Power wires inside the cat5 have no shielding and are literally on top of the data wires within the ethernet skin. Having external power outside of the cat5 using the 12v power supply gives separation between the power cable and the cat5 which provides shielding from the interference resulting in the pixels disappearing.
That is not the cause of your problem, though we have yet to see a video displaying any real issue. Running power and video on the same cable is THE poe standard. There is no way this is causing an issue unless there is something really wrong with your cabling.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, I believe that the NVR POE use mode A for POE (just like standard POE switches) so the data and power are transmitted on the SAME pairs (only 2 pairs of the 4 are used)..unlike midspan injectors that use extra unused pairs to transmit power in mode b.

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The problem was resolved from not running power using POE. There were 10 new cat5 cables tried with different lengths. Power was the only common factor, which means it is the result of interference from the power source. Im not here to convince you, I was here to find a solution. Digital signal can be and is affected by Electrical Interference, a simple google search can tell you that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem was resolved from not running power using POE. There were 10 new cat5 cables tried with different lengths. Power was the only common factor, which means it is the result of interference from the power source. Im not here to convince you, I was here to find a solution. Digital signal can be and is affected by Electrical Interference, a simple google search can tell you that.
If you believe that is the case then run independent power. There is no alternative. I assure you its not the case. See my post above explaining that in MOST poe applications power is actually run mode A over the SAME pairs as data. What model injector where you testing with?
Any electrical interference would be seen as dropped packets and will NOT cause the symptoms you describe.

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your comparing POE thru the NVR and POE ran thru the POE Injector which has nothing to do with the outcome. If no power is ran over the ethernet the problem is gone, why is that? Obviously because when the power is ran thru the ethernet there is no shielding from whatever interference is coming off the power line. Im not sure why your not willing to accept that as the problem?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your comparing POE thru the NVR and POE ran thru the POE Injector which has nothing to do with the outcome. If no power is ran over the ethernet the problem is gone, why is that? Obviously because when the power is ran thru the ethernet there is no shielding from whatever interference is coming off the power line. Im not sure why your not willing to accept that as the problem?
I dont understand. You are saying that the problem exists whether you use the NVR POE or the POE injector, correct? Then im not comparing the two.
There is NO need for shielding in the cable. That the point. The power is run on the SAME pair as the DATA.
I cant accept it because then the entire POE standard would be worthless because of the "interference"...additionally I have installed hundreds of ip cameras in various settings and have never seen this happen. I have also never seen anyone else report this. Something is not right.

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, I can not be any more clear than I have been. When power is ran over the ethernet cable, any ethernet cable the problem persists. When power is ran independently from the ethernet cable the problem is resolved. Im sorry but this seems like an ego issue that I really am not going to get into.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I can not be any more clear than I have been. When power is ran over the ethernet cable, any ethernet cable the problem persists. When power is ran independently from the ethernet cable the problem is resolved. Im sorry but this seems like an ego issue that I really am not going to get into.
So then run alternate power lines and see how that works for you. There is no alternative. If the power was bad it would have caused a problem with the 12v adapter as well. Its not a power issue.

DaveFL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is noise/interference on the power line that the sensitive camera is picking up. It is not a normal level of noise on my power lines which is causing the problem and needs to be figured out. This would have no impact on the 12v adapter or any other electronic device.

http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise

I would think I probably need an electrician to check for some type of problem in my home as a first step.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is noise/interference on the power line that the sensitive camera is picking up. It is not a normal level of noise on my power lines which is causing the problem and needs to be figured out. This would have no impact on the 12v adapter or any other electronic device.

http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise

I would think I probably need an electrician to check for some type of problem in my home as a first step.
You will be wasting your money...but go ahead see what they say. Before spending the money, as a test you can power the camera off a UPS disconnected from the mains and see what happens. You can also buy a line conditioner.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you upload a small clip in day time with the camera powered via 12v. It'd be interesting to see how much difference there is, maybe the 'moving noise' is an unrecorded side effect of poe because I can see it in practically every video sample of an ip camera.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also you could try to ground the nvr to a clean earth, this normally does the trick.

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I read all of this topic and:
1. Replacing CAT cable wont help and has nothing to do with image quality. This is DIGITAL image, if there would be a proble with CAT cable - there would be packet loss, not degradation in quality. This is not analog.
2. For me it looks like a bitrate and keyframe is too low that produces this "pulsation" in low light. Nothing to do with power, nothing to do with cabling. Just codec settings. When you hit bitrate in example to 1 Mbps - the keyframe has to fit in this 1Mbps. So this keyframe (really to simplify here - JPEG image) - has to fit. So it will be degraded. Get higher bitrate on this stream and check.