Hikvision motion detection masking glitch in all firmware?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has noted the weirdness in the never Hikvision camera firmware like I have? I have been testing this a little more over the last few days but cannot figure out exactly what I'm running into with it.

On many of my cameras I cannot block out the bottom, say the bottom three rows of motion "blocks" if I block them out, hit apply, then check again it is like I never blocked them at all. The main thing that seems to cause this having a full row or two blocked off at the top of the frame, then trying to block off a full lower row, or all the way down a side. When you do this a portion of the lower blocks will never be able to be blocked off. It is not uncommon for me to have the very top row blocked off, them maybe an edge down a fence line or something with traffic need to also be blocked and they will just not do it.

I am setting the motion in Exacq, but I have also tried in the camera firmware directly to no avail, same results. Usually it is the bottom two or three rows, sometimes up to half of them. I just tested on a turret camera running 5.0.2, a bullet running 5.1.6 and one running 5.1.2 plus another dome running 5.2.0. Same results on every camera. If I block the top, some or all of the bottom is not blockable, if I remove the top block, and only do the bottom it will work it seems, though I would very rarely need to do that so I usually never try. Top and full edge left or right will not work either.

It also differs if you are in 3mp or 2mp mode, at times I have to block in 3mp then check the results after switching to 2mp as I can block things I otherwise could not if I had just tried in 2mo mode.

I do not run into this a lot but when I do need to block those areas of a shot it is annoying as all get out. I have some cameras catching property near a road and may need to get top and edge blocked off and it is basically not possible without adjusting the camera until a portion of the view is not affected so I do not have to use blocking in that area. Not huge, but I sure wish they could fix the firmware so this was not an issue. Down a fence line is the worst, say an angle all the way from the top to the bottom, I can never get the bottom to block off even if the top is clear at times.

I just tested the Hikvision analog encoder, DS-6704HFI and that one has no issues with blocking on it's firmware, 1.2.0. So it can work correctly lol.

Sorry for the long post, just sharing some of the issues I've had with these and motion. Hoping that it can be fixed, I have tons of these and it is normally not an issue, but on the 20-30 Hik cameras where I have odd masking requirements it bugs the heck out of me!

Burbo

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running a CMIP 3432 on my exacq server. I have the full left column blocked from motion with no issue. Camera is v 5.2.0 build 140721 running at 3mp and 16 fps.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it is hard to get across by description, so I will put in a few screen shots to show. Now, these shots are pulled from me setting motion in Exacq, but the EXACT same results happen if I set the motion in the Hik camera itself. This specific camera is a CIMP3032, but all of my CIMP and Hik cameras will do this regardless of the firmware it seems.

So, here is my normal motion settings for this camera:

And here I am trying to block off most of the image, and it works perfectly fine. No issues with this setting.

Now I try a more complex motion setting, this is what I asked for, then I hit apply and show you what the results are:

And my results after hitting apply and looking:
The motion mask on the right and left is gone?

Now here is another more extreme example, again here is what I set:

I hit apply and double check and here are my amazing results:
Uh, say what?

I have many other examples but they are harder to show due to what the camera is showing, but as an example I had a DS-2CD2032-I running 5.1.2 with maybe the top third blocked out just now as it is facing a road and a gate and I'm trying not to have traffic set it off. Works fine, but looking at night there is a light that is casting a shadow of a flag all night near the bottom of my image and causing motion to be detected. I try to block off a 3x3 section where the shadow shows up and night and it will not set no matter what. I have tried 7-8 times now and after you hit apply it never works. IF I remove all the other motion blocks and only set the flag area it is fine, but I cannot do both.

I can block off the whole camera no problem, it seems the more edges and odd shapes you use the less you can set for motion? Maybe these pictures will help others test cameras and just see if I'm crazy or not lol.

Attachments

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmm it looks like you're being limited by the number of zones you want to block...by usually that's privacy zones and not motion detection zone....is there any options to increase the number of motion masking zones? Can you do 5-6 big squares that isn't oddly shaped?