Hikvision IP camera won't work via the NVR POE

parkerhh

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-K2/8P with four Hikvision cameras DS-2CD2085FWD-I. Everything worked great for about four years and then one of the cameras quit.

After many hours of trial and error, I finally got it to work again by adding a separate 12V power source to the pigtail. i.e. It would no longer work with the POE from the NVR.

Is it possible this condition might in some way be reset or is the internal POE power supply damaged?

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible this condition might in some way be reset or is the internal POE power supply damaged?
It's likely each POE port in the NVR is protected with a Ceramic PTC thermistor, such as in picture below. They are replaceable and you should be able to read either open or very high resistance with a meter (and NVR powered down & unplugged) if it has "opened up" to protect the NVR's power supply. It's not easy getting the right one or performing the replacement.

It's also possible the cam could cause the same problem if you move it to another POE port so I would not do that unless you open up the cam and inspect it as well.

Good luck! :cool:

Ceramic PTC thermistors.jpg

parkerhh

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think it's the NVR POE port as I have two free ports and they don't work with the camera either. Other cameras work in the NVR port with no problem. I have changed out multiple cables so it's not a cable either. I've eliminated everything but the camera. I'm guessing the camera has a separate voltage regulator for the POE and the pigtail power. I was hoping there was a reset to POE power mode. I have been back and forth through many resets with the pigtail power and maybe it's stuck in "pigtail power" mode??? I suspect the camera POE regulator is bad. Anyone got a schematic?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it's the NVR POE port as I have two free ports and they don't work with the camera either.
That's good info...
I suspect the camera POE regulator is bad.
I would agree.
Anyone got a schematic?
Doubtful.
Just follow the red (+) and black (-) for that 12VDC wiring you used on the pigtail into the cam. The output of the POE regulator is probably connected to the 12VDC input via a steering diode.