Hikvision IP camera recommendation

Jweaver

n3wb
Reaction score
I know nothing about IP cameras but need 2 to finish my CCTV setup (my other 8 cameras are analogue).

What Hikvison cameras could i use? I need good picture quality (day and night), but only 1080P. And since one is external, i want it to be quite robust, but fairly small if possibile.

i am looking at Bullet cameras, but now i am thinking about domes..

any thoughts?

jon

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I personally would use domes because I've had serious spider issues with bullets, but that's just my experience. (Depends on location and environment)

Domes are also less vulnerable to outside forces affecting what they're looking at (if something hits a bullet it might move, whereas a dome will not).

If you're only looking for 1080p, you can get away with any of Hikvision's 2 or 3 line series that are only 2MP (1080p). They are cheaper than 3 and 4MP cams, and if you only ever want to go as high as 1080, no sense buying a fancier camera just to lower its resolution.

I would recommend a DS-2CD3120F-I. 2MP, dome, Hikvision, and outdoor rated. Night vision is decent, but you didn't mention how far you're looking for the IR to throw. Their turret cams are even better for the long range illumination. The equivalent would be a DS-2CD3325F-I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The IR is rated for 30M on those. The domes have better IR spread whereas bullets it's more like a spotlight.

The model variance ultimately depends on where you are ordering them from. I import mine so I have better selection, but there are naturally risks involved with doing so. But I've been doing this for awhile now so I'm familiar with the process and know what to look for. There are also resellers in the US that provide excellent support over ordering original Hikvision cameras (LTS comes to mind). Yes, you're going to pay more than I do for the same camera, but you have better support and warranty. By reseller, I mean Hikvision rebranded cameras or authorized Hikvision distributors.

Jweaver

n3wb
Reaction score
The IR is rated for 30M on those. The domes have better IR spread whereas bullets it's more like a spotlight.

The model variance ultimately depends on where you are ordering them from. I import mine so I have better selection, but there are naturally risks involved with doing so. But I've been doing this for awhile now so I'm familiar with the process and know what to look for. There are also resellers in the US that provide excellent support over ordering original Hikvision cameras (LTS comes to mind). Yes, you're going to pay more than I do for the same camera, but you have better support and warranty. By reseller, I mean Hikvision rebranded cameras or authorized Hikvision distributors.

Cheers.. I am in the UK and looking to order from China.. In the UK these cameras are £150, where as in China, more like £60.

I have read much about problems with firmware and multi-language... So I am going to order one to see how I get on and will get a 2nd if it works out OK

THnaks for your help

Jon