Hikvision email notifikation and motion detection on HIK NVR

Reaction score
First some background info

I bought 2 Hikvision cams DS-2CD2132F-I and installed on my synology. It was easy to install, and I could easy see when the camera was triggered through the software. I got an email with a picture of what the camera saw. Everything was almost perfect. Some times I got to many pictures, so was thinking of how to install pir sensors for camera.

I talked with the shop where I bought the camera, and he told me to upgrade, also because I was thinking of install a third camera. He recommended to buy a Hikvision NVR DS-7608. And now comes the problem.

First, it is sooo noisy, but now I installed it in the basement, so that problem is fixed. Second When I log into the NVR via web interface, I can´t get the email notification to work with gmail. I now made an GMX email, and that one dosen´t work either. I tried to fix it, so setup these information in the cam instead now, but it should work on the NVR, I just cant have it to send me any picture at all.
When I install the camera, I go into expert mode and set the motion detection in the area, but I cant see anything about what trigger the cam, so I can just set some values and if it start to record or not.

Right now, I feel I bought a shitty product, the Synology was much easier, faster but here I need to buy licens.

Im I doing something wrong with this NVR, do you guys use something else than the web interface to set it up, or is this was I could expect?

Best regards

\René

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gmail has dropped SMTP service in this regard. I have been using my IP's email address and it works fine

RAMEES

n3wb
Reaction score
you need update your DVR/NVR Latest Firmware

and watch this video link

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
feel your pain.
I found i can not view cameras on android phone because no plug in is supported. So downloaded ivms but that can not have stream encryption enabled or it wont work. I have now also tried to set up email alerts with no luck so far. I keep getting an error and i am using 1and1 as an email provider. If i managed to fix the issue will let you know how it works. As for the box, my one is not noisy and the cameras are perfect images and at night, just wished the setup was easier or should i say a little more universal.

Reaction score
you need update your DVR/NVR Latest Firmware

and watch this video link

Ok thanks for the link, I look it through to see if I missed something

1. The firmware in the video is 3.4.62 build160503 and my is V3.4.1 build 160114. When I check for update, it tells me I have the latest. Mine NVR is DS-7608NI-E2 / A

2. under event (basis settings) sensitivity In the video the area goes from 0 til 100, he set in on 90, on mine, it goes from 0 to 5.

I will try the rest later. But why these differents.

\René

Last edited by a moderator:

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded my box to latest firmware and the email alerts still do not work, when testing the settings it still fails. So doubt that will work for you

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
gmail, 'allow less secure apps', port 587, NVR firmware 3.4.80 works OK for email notifications.
Example from when I rebooted the NVR that provided the camera feed via its PoE ports:
Code:
This is an automatically generated e-mail from your NVR.

EVENT TYPE:    Video Signal Lost
EVENT TIME:    2016-10-07,07:52:41
NVR NAME:      7816N-E2-8P
NVR S/N:       1620140616AARR469195184WCVU
CAMERA NAME(NUM):   GardenGate(D7)
Code:
alastair@PC-I5 ~ $ telnet 192.168.1.210
Trying 192.168.1.210...
Connected to 192.168.1.210.
Escape character is '^]'.

dvrdvs login: root
Password: 

BusyBox v1.16.1 (2016-06-29 13:49:45 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

psh: applet not found
[root@dvrdvs /root] # getHardInfo
Start at 2016-10-07 07:51:38
Serial NO :1620140616AARR469195184WCVU 
V3.4.80 build 160718
softBase:/Platform/trunk:0
KernelVersion: V1.0.0 build 160629
dspSoftVersion: V5.0 build 160716
codecVersion: V5.0 build 160716
hardwareVersion = 0x0
encodeChans = 0
decodeChans = 16
alarmInNums = 0
alarmOutNums = 0
flashsize = 0x0
ramSize = 0x40000000
networksNums = 1
language = 1
devType:DS-7816N-E2/8P
bootPartition = 1
randomCode = 
[root@dvrdvs /root] #

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
The support i had back from hikvision was to just upgrade, which i did. since telling them it did not work, they have not got back to me . I will create a gmail account to test if that works, rather than trying my website hosting company 1and1. I will get back and let everyone know how it turns out. thank you

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
yes those are the settings i used for 1and1. I have now created a gmail account. I allowed less secure apps, i allowed two step verification, i generated a password for my hikvision box in app passwords. Tried to use this on ports 25, 465 and 587. Still no luck. I think it is just not a user friendly, universal device. The cameras and nvr are great but the setup sucks.

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
Just tried changing the smtp.google.com to its ip address and it worked for a test email. I found some one on this forum mention it. I will try the same for 1and1 and see if it works.

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
Just tried with 1and1 and it worked. so i can use my webhosts email. smtp server on hikvision nvr only works when using an ip address for the main server and not the smtp.blahblah.com address. I am going to ask hikvision support why they didnt mention this. Thank you all for the help. Works great now it seems.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like a name resolution (DNS) issue.
What do you have for the DNS server?
If it's currently your LAN router, try using Google's 8.8.8.8 instead - anecdotally it works better for Hikvision.
Using an IP address directly is a bit vulnerable to changes in how the target SMTP service is provisioned going forward.

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
Only problem now is that when the email smtp server changes ip address for security reasons, i wont know and will not be receiving email alerts because i am using the ip rather than smtp.blahblah.com Any ideas on another way this will work any one? or will i just have ti put it in my diary to check everytime before leaving an unoccupied premises and every hour after hoping it aint been robbed lol.

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry i missed your reply. I am an idiot, you are correct the dns was set to the ip of the nvr i tried google 8.8.8.8 and it worked with smtp address rather than ip. I then tried the router lan ip address and it still worked fine. Sorry if this is a lame question but if i leave it as the router lan address as its working, is there any security risk or is it just better being googles 8.8.8.8. And thank you so much.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent! Glad it's sorted.
ry if this is a lame question but if i leave it as the router lan address as its working, is there any security risk or is it just better being googles 8.8.8.8
No security risk - arguably a tiny tiny bit less as there is less traffic going out to the internet from the device to flag its existence. But that's an ultra-paranoid view.
If it works with the router - that's fine, the router is supposed to offer reliable DNS relay services, that's what any other devices on the LAN will be using.
But we've seen a few Hikvision-related posts where (without any specific router details) pointing the DNS at the router was troublesome, and pointing DNS at 8.8.8.8 fixed the problem.

johnfsd

n3wb
Reaction score
you have saved me loads of headache, thank you. just been testing it with motion, line and intruder detection for the various cams, emails are now working great. Slight shame about the image quality and size and only having the 3 snaps, but maybe this is to make sure it is instant, i'll read up on that next. but thanks for every thing :)